Automatic or Manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kidkrylon73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just trying to get a feel for opinions on the two.

Advantages disadvantages. Excluding the headache of a stick in traffic.

What holds up better in the long run.

What handles more power

what performs better after modding, increased HP.

Oh yeah and can anybody explain why Cummins reduces HP output on a manual.

Poriggity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Not sure about the new trucks, but when I bought my 04, it was hands down votes that the NV5600 is A LOT stronger than the stock Dodge auto. That being said, a built Dodge Auto is REALLY nice.
Scott

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
They reduce the power output in the manuals because the stock single disc clutch cant hold the power reliably. Clutches that can hold them are noisey. The G56 flex plates are known to warp with added power due to heat created from slipping while 68re's are known to not handle extra power well
Valair and South Bend both have clutches, single and dual disc, that replaces the stock flex plate as well and can handle 900+ hp depending on what your looking for out of your truck and what your willing to pay

As far as auto vs. stick its really going to depend on what your looking to use it for. I love the manual transmission. My girlfriends truck has an NV5600 and her dad has a 6.7 with a G56 and a south bend dual disc. Both trucks are used for towing so the manual trans is really nice. If your looking for a 1/4 mile truck automatic is the way to go but they are a bit more expensive to build to hold the power reliably but a manual truck wont be able to keep up
Even the stock clutch is pretty heavy so your leg will get sore in traffic. Manual diesels are much easier to drive then a manual gas job though.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I am sadly only 26 but as much as I like driving a manual they kill my knee. I enjoy manual but reality is Auto has better resale and people that never learned how or are falling apart like me need to stick with an auto. I would still buy a manual diesel though and just take some advil on trips haha.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Around here manual cummins are more desirable

Overall they are not though and that I am not saying they won't sell but there are a lot of people that simply won't buy them. Sad I a like to have the option but as you can see by elimination in 1500 trucks they are no longer "standard" but just the forgotten "manual. "

$miley

spankis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

Same here, my 2007 is a G56 manual, and my dad's 2010 is the same. Both are our daily drivers, though I do have a separate work truck.

Like has already been said, it's not feasible for Dodge to equip a clutch that will hold that much power reliably, while having good "street manners". It will be loud, heavier than stock, and it would turn away a lot of buyers. The motor is identical though, and a simple tuner will take it right back up the power level of the automatics, and WELL beyond it if desired.

That said though, an upgraded clutch setup will hold all the power you want for $5000 less than a built automatic transmission - and you can pick your own gears.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Around here (northern Michigan) it doesn't matter much. Used diesels are gone from for sale within a couple days regardless. We have alot of farms in the area and the kids of the farmers just snap them up.

They pay ridiculous prices and don't really care about condition of the body since they plan to beat them into the ground anyway.

I would say though autos are slightly more desirable in these parts.

OP
OP
K

Kidkrylon73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
well I dont mind the stick but from what Im hearing the Autos just dont handle the extra horsepower unless u build stronger which is way more epensive on an automatic. I guess im looking to get 450 500 from the motor. So i figured the manual with a stronger clutch would hold up in the long run

Raindem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO a manual is hands-down the better transmission. Better performance, cheaper to maintain/repair, more reliable, better gas mileage, more secure (I've read reports of young thieves who were unable to steal a vehicle because they didn't know how to drive it).

Auto trans have made great strides in recent years, closing the performance and mileage gaps. So it's no wonder they are becoming more popular. For me, however, it will always be a manual.-