Back seat power outlet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey all, I want to add two 12v outlets by the a/c vents for the backseat. I have the bench seats. Any power source I can tap into use?

I want to put them where I have the yellow circles.
4eae295cbfcde6e6b97583507ead68a6.jpg
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
zeddy

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
thanks.

you took power from the passenger side USB port? I’m thinking of using power from the 12v cigarette outlet on the drivers side. Would that work? Take a wire underneath the carpet? Or would it be easier on the passenger side like you did?

I actually used a feed from an unused (on my truck) fuse normally used for heated seats. The more common thing to use is the feed for the 12v port in the console.

-K

OP
OP
zeddy

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I actually used a feed from an unused (on my truck) fuse normally used for heated seats. The more common thing to use is the feed for the 12v port in the console.

-K

I found the wires. A lot of wires, assuming for the USB port. I used a circuit tester and there was constant power in the red wire. This wire seems pretty thin. Here’s a pic.

55fd39d8f9ffc72c5ac68c3150e13315.jpg

I going to put two outlets. That wire should be good enough right? Only using it to charge phones. Maybe power a DVD player.

Thanks for your help!!!

OP
OP
zeddy

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Anyone know that red wire is for? There’s no power now, and the 12v in the console still works. All the fuses under the hood are good. Please help. Stuck.

OP
OP
zeddy

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The USB port in the console isn’t working. No power from the red wire. Is there a fuse for that? The 12v works

OP
OP
zeddy

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Found the power to the 12v. It was the light blue/pink wire. Spliced it connected it to the new ports. Here’s a pic.
8ff3df45a442167e1200d1d42a9e2212.jpg

Still no power to the USB port.

OP
OP
zeddy

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When we headed back yesterday from San Diego to LA, both of my kids devices died half way home. Stuck in traffic. 4 and 10 year old. Won’t have that issue tomorrow when we head out to Palm Springs. Crazy how these trucks don’t have outlets in the back.

OP
OP
zeddy

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Found why the red wire had no power. Blew a fuse, f67, 10amp fuse. Good thing it did because I ended up tapping directly into the 12v outlet which is 20amp instead of the 10amp.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Found why the red wire had no power. Blew a fuse, f67, 10amp fuse. Good thing it did because I ended up tapping directly into the 12v outlet which is 20amp instead of the 10amp.

Glad you found the issue and got things working.

-K

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Damn i have a sport hopefully this will still work in the back as when we go on long road trips the kids have phones going and we have ours going extra plugs be perfect.

Do you have a center console or the jump seat? They are designed to fit the jump seat. I think the console either has an outlet or has room to moutn one without th brackets I designed.

-K

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have a center console or the jump seat? They are designed to fit the jump seat. I think the console either has an outlet or has room to moutn one without th brackets I designed.

-K
I have the center console and son says theres an outlet in the back i just want another outlet on the other side for more options.I was hoping the back would look similar and i could use them haha i dont remember what the back looks like (im not young anymore haha jk) but anyways i was going to check it out today. So if i have center console and outlet are there easier options for me then?

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have the center console and son says theres an outlet in the back i just want another outlet on the other side for more options.I was hoping the back would look similar and i could use them haha i dont remember what the back looks like (im not young anymore haha jk) but anyways i was going to check it out today. So if i have center console and outlet are there easier options for me then?

I have the jump seat, but from what I recall seeing, there is enough room on the console back to drill a 1 1/8" hole and mount a similar plug to what I used right in it. Also, if the current single outlet is round, you might be able to replace it with a dual outlet and not need to drill another hole. If we weren't on opposite sides of the continent I'd say "Stop by and we'll have a look" but since I'm in NY and you appear to be in CA, that probably won't work. :)

1045.jpg

Or, if the current one is rectangular, you might be able to replace it with something like this:

612-Rw-HTXJa-L-AC-SL1056.jpg

-K