BackFlip MX4 bed cover question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MJCs18Diesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I installed a Black BackFlip MX4 bed cover and their tool box option and I love them both. However, after two summers, I have concluded the interior of the truck bed gets very hot during the summer from the sun. I have been trying to think of a way to install a 12v thermostat and 12v muffin fan to keep the interior of the bed cool in the summer. I believe the best place to mount the fan would be in front of the bed, near the top rail, and behind the cab. A 1" x 6" or 8" shroud would need to be fabricated to blow the air down and to keep rain and splash water out of the fan. Has anyone discovered a kit to do this? Or, how to fabricate and install (screw or rivet) the shroud to the front side of the bed without having to remove the truck bed?

Thanks in advance,

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sooo, do your box wrenches get uncomfortable in the heat ? And were do you expect the fan to draw a comparable amount of incoming cooler air from ? Seems like a lotta work for not much return, unless you haul something alive back there, and wanna keep it alive ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I installed a Black BackFlip MX4 bed cover and their tool box option and I love them both. However, after two summers, I have concluded the interior of the truck bed gets very hot during the summer from the sun. I have been trying to think of a way to install a 12v thermostat and 12v muffin fan to keep the interior of the bed cool in the summer. I believe the best place to mount the fan would be in front of the bed, near the top rail, and behind the cab. A 1" x 6" or 8" shroud would need to be fabricated to blow the air down and to keep rain and splash water out of the fan. Has anyone discovered a kit to do this? Or, how to fabricate and install (screw or rivet) the shroud to the front side of the bed without having to remove the truck bed?

Thanks in advance,

You are definitely not going to find a kit to do this.
As mentioned, where do you plan to draw air from that will make much of a difference? Ambient air isn't going to cool it much.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had them on my last three trucks. Even here in South Texas I believe the bed actually stays cooler than it does without one. At least in my case. The sun shining on the black spray in liner gets really hot.

OP
OP
MJCs18Diesel

MJCs18Diesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
No, I don't care if my steel tools get hot LOL, it's more about other things in the back, like an ice chest, volt meters, DeWalt tools, sometimes a chain saw, string trimmer, power washer, lawnmower gas when driving from the station, etc. The only intake air is through the drain holes, tailgate cracks, and the rear-most square "stake-side holes".
mjc

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I found the cover can get very hot to the touch, but have not noticed the bed or contents getting hot.

That being said if I were looking to circulate air in the bed I'd look to mount a pair of fans on one side under the bed with a duct from each one to to the lower drain vents, making sure to have a U shaped bend in the duct and a small hole to drain water. I'd probably test a few solar mounted fans with the panel on the bumper or tonneau, but suspect I'd move to 80MM computer RAD fans (high static pressure) and wire them to a switch mounted next to the 7pin connector where I'd draw power. Might add a temperature, low voltage cut off, or timer module.