Ball Joint Issues with 2013 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mridude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this has been talked to death, but I have an interesting situation regarding my 2013 Ram. I called 3 reputable shops in the DFW area and asked them all the same question. " how much for a leveling lift with Bilsteins on a 2013 Ram 4x4?". The first two quoted the job with no mention of ball joints. So, I asked if they had heard of ball joint issues with the 2013 Ram and lifts? Both said nope, never heard of any issues.

The third shop quoted the job but said they had a note in the book saying the UCAs needed replacement due to the possibility of ball joints popping out. When I visited the shop to get a written quote the guy said when they did the job they "may" have to replace the UCAs due to ball joint issues. I said, may? He explained that if the ball joint popped out during the job they would have to replace the UCAs. I expressed concern that couldn't they pop out later after the lift was done? He assured me that was highly unlikely and if the lift installed with no issues I didn't have to worry about it.

:hmm:

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
lol most shops talk out their ass because they assume everyone is clueless...most are anyway. At least you came to do research instead of listening to them.

You can get mevotech UCAs to fix the ball joint issue, they are cheap.
You can get Bilsteins to level the truck instead of a spacer kit. As long as you dont offroad the balljoint SHOULD be fine.
The ball joint can start popping out at anytime...definitely not just during the install

OP
OP
M

mridude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol most shops talk out their ass because they assume everyone is clueless...most are anyway. At least you came to do research instead of listening to them.

You can get mevotech UCAs to fix the ball joint issue, they are cheap.
You can get Bilsteins to level the truck instead of a spacer kit. As long as you dont offroad the balljoint SHOULD be fine.
The ball joint can start popping out at anytime...definitely not just during the install

Not getting spacers. Getting Bilsteins. Even so, I dont really like "SHOULD"...and my wife would not be very understanding if my balljoint popped out at midnight in a restaurant parking lot after hitting a parking lot bump too hard!

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not getting spacers. Getting Bilsteins. Even so, I dont really like "SHOULD"...
Didn't see that part. I only say should because mine started to pop out when I had bils maxed and went offroading pretty hard. If you set your bils at 2.1 they will be just fine.

2.8 you can just get the mevotech UCAs for cheap insurance. They are about 100 for both

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mridude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didn't see that part. I only say should because mine started to pop out when I had bils maxed and went offroading pretty hard. If you set your bils at 2.1 they will be just fine.

2.8 you can just get the mevotech UCAs for cheap insurance. They are about 100 for both

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info!

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bilsteins lift via pre-load while spacers extend the strut length. The latter causes stress on the UCA ball joint. A lot of variables can cause stress on the UCA including offroading. Bilsteins alone won't.

A great man once said: You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
First off, OEM Ball Joints lift. RAM claims this normal and even have a spec for acceptable tolerances,w hen the ball joint lifts.

Your 2013 has a much better OEM control Arm, than later years, and is desirable on acct of this. Much beefier than 2014 and after UCA's.

Even so, Mevotech UCA's are better and cheap insurance. Be sure to put about 3or 4 coats on paint on them, else they rust and look like crap. Strictly cosmetic but,hey, the control arms can bee seen when wheels is turned so paint the damn things....

A few, very few, practically non existent few, have had an issue, setting bilsteins at 2.8,even using MEvotech CA;s. again, we are talking less than folks, who you personally know with the zika virus but,damn near none does not equate to positively none, so I am informing you about it. I went with 2.1 setting on acct of this . Biggest complaint is a slight wobble, at highway speeds.

As stated, most shops front people are total idiots. There is a reason they are talking to retail customers, instead of turning wrenches. Mechanical "know how" is not their strongest feature.

You mentioned levelling kit.... if 2.8 or less what you are looking for, than bills are only thing you need. stay away from spacers. hard on the truck. though one inch is okay, on the rear only, to give back slight rake. not on the front though, too man other parts connected to the suspension. no spacers on front is rule of thumb, unless you plan on replacing some of those other parts to acct for the differences in height caused by spacers.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The third shop quoted the job but said they had a note in the book saying the UCAs needed replacement due to the possibility of ball joints popping out. When I visited the shop to get a written quote the guy said when they did the job they "may" have to replace the UCAs due to ball joint issues.

Was this 4 wheel parts?