Banks intake system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jclare5269

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I am looking at the Banks Ram Air Intake with Ram Air filter. The specs and tests by Banks shows a big increase in horsepower and torque. Has anyone done this? If so, what was your experience? Did it improve as Banks claims? Thank you.
Jim

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It might have the potential to help with building HP/torque but you would need to tune the engine also. The Banks stuff is well engineered and sure does look pretty but it's only part of the what's needed.
Do your homework before going down the rabbit hole of tuning a diesel, not all tuners are equally able.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I am looking at the Banks Ram Air Intake with Ram Air filter. The specs and tests by Banks shows a big increase in horsepower and torque. Has anyone done this? If so, what was your experience? Did it improve as Banks claims? Thank you.
Jim
The only reason I did the Monster Ram intake was to open it up a smidge but not banking on massive performance or HP gains...and also remove the heater grid risk while also replacing the intake plate with the heater assembly to adopt their system. As @crash68 stated, it is a rabbit hole and I'm not going to delete anything as a result of needing to pass smog and again, the rabbit hole of tuning the engine....naa.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The only reason I did the Monster Ram intake was to open it up a smidge but not banking on massive performance or HP gains
spot on^^
If one read the advertisement closely, there are no HP or torque percentages noted, they're all about air flow and density. Then it even notes to build HP/torque a tune is needed:
By increasing the mass of the air delivered to it, your stock-tuned engine will breathe more efficiently with less stress and set the stage for huge power gains when stacked with a tune.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
spot on^^
If one read the advertisement closely, there are no HP or torque percentages noted, they're all about air flow and density. Then it even notes to build HP/torque a tune is needed:
Bingo @crash68. I liken it to the truck having asthma haha :)

Some guys reported a slight efficiency gain reflected in MPG - my brick of a truck and driving style makes me believe I will not see that but just knock out some of the lag in spots. Regardless it will breathe and I have ZERO remorse about purchasing it for that fact. So for the OP, I think you are getting the raw facts here to make a proper decision.

All that said based on airflow stats, I will not replace the air box and filter. Plenty of air moving through there right now and I don’t need to make my engine louder. I know it’s a diesel and I don’t need everyone on the road knowing it haha.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
The reviews on their site are all positive. Not sure if these can be doctored or not. I might replace all of that with my Christmas Bonus! :D Now if I can only get the truck from Mexico to here before Christmas! :rolleyes:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Bingo @crash68. I liken it to the truck having asthma haha :)

Some guys reported a slight efficiency gain reflected in MPG - my brick of a truck and driving style makes me believe I will not see that but just knock out some of the lag in spots. Regardless it will breathe and I have ZERO remorse about purchasing it for that fact. So for the OP, I think you are getting the raw facts here to make a proper decision.

All that said based on airflow stats, I will not replace the air box and filter. Plenty of air moving through there right now and I don’t need to make my engine louder. I know it’s a diesel and I don’t need everyone on the road knowing it haha.
Any "slight efficiency gain in MPG" is all in their head. These trucks already have more than enough airflow in stock form than they need.
If the OP falls for the claims made by Banks it will sure look purdy when he lifts the hood to show it off.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Well one thing you can say about Banks is that he's a great salesman, based on some of his claims he must think the engineers at Cummins are Stupid and don't know anything about air flow...

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
You guys and your negative waves. There are lots of reasons to have one of those intakes.

You live in a rural area where deer are a problem and you need a deer whistle when you drive.

Music and/or conversation angers you when you drive.

The constant whistle is the only thing drowning out the voices telling you to swerve into oncoming traffic.

You're 14.

I could go on, but you guys are obviously just haters :cool:

Livinthedream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,

I just received my intake elbow and will get it installed next week. My main reasons for installing is this is going to be my last truck purchase and I want to try and prevent issues in the future. I am concerned about the stock heater grid, and the grid nut which while not common, have caused lots of issues for some. I also pull a 40 foot 5th wheel at times and anything that will help the truck do so is on the table.

As for the “experts” that flame anyone who dares do something they have not “and most likely have done ZERO research “ please keep scrolling as. I Have enough negativity in my life…

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
As with anything mass produced, there is compromise. Auto manufacturers are no exception. Banks is expensive yes, but good stuff. Other manufacturers have good stuff as well. The biggest compromise/trouble spot/ choke point is the grid heater. Toss it and go with one of the other options and kill two birds, no risk of a failed grid heater nut, and increased flow. Your money, your truck, and your choice.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hey man the heckling is all in fun :) . I have all kinds of mods on all of my vehicles (except for my Taurus which I keep bone stock, but for seat covers). Whether they make a difference in performance, only a dyno would know, or maybe a year of gas receipts, but I did it because I thought it would be cool and I love to tinker. (American dream and all, motorcycle, hot rod, big ass 4x4 and closet full of guns. If I just had some land in the country, I could say I made it)

My truck came with a lot of mods already done and I've been spending a lot of time and money "civilizing" them and smoothing out the edges. I just tallied up the receipts on Sunday of what I've spent on it since I bought it 2 years ago. That was a mistake :).

So if you can afford a Banks anything I say go for it if for no other reason than making that 14 year old deep down smile every time you pop the hood. I know mine does.

apsloate1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Well one thing you can say about Banks is that he's a great salesman, based on some of his claims he must think the engineers at Cummins are Stupid and don't know anything about air flow...
Well, whoever designed the power connection for the Grid Air Heater should have to pay for all the damage caused by the bolt ending up in cylinder #6. The $1200 to replace the grid heater with the new version Ram Air to save a possible $20k engine replacement was worth it to me. The Banks grid heater solution should be standard on all 6.7l.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Well, whoever designed the power connection for the Grid Air Heater should have to pay for all the damage caused by the bolt ending up in cylinder #6. The $1200 to replace the grid heater with the new version Ram Air to save a possible $20k engine replacement was worth it to me. The Banks grid heater solution should be standard on all 6.7l.
If you want to disconnect the grid heater because your worried you sure as heck don't need anything from Banks to do so, yes it can be a weak spot due to poorly made relays, but its on the engine for a reason, to aid starting in cold temps because not every one will use or can use the block heater they install at the factory..

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In and in itself they don't do much, however they're a must for any major future mods.
It's a whole package type of thing.
Go for it, the Banks are great systems.
Before you pull the trigger, look at the Vararam Air Grabber too.
IMG_1550.JPG