best spot to tap into 12V on with ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lokal907ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
im wondering where the best spot is to tap into a 12V source that will turn on and off with the key? I have my LOC behind my radio tapped into the cigarette lighter and it works fine. then I have my compressor for my airbags taped into a fuse in the fuse block using a fuse tap to the rear seat cigarette plug. im going to be adding another compressor for my train horn and I want the toggle switch to be a keyed source. I don't want to over load anything by tapping into these cigarette lighters with to many things. theres got to be a good source somewhere to handle multiple things...

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
1. Will you use any of these at the same time? If not you may not overload the circuit.

2. If you put your toys on relays you can use the same tap to control them all. Very small amperage. Your air compressor is already on a relay or direct powered?

OP
OP
lokal907ryder

lokal907ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
1. Will you use any of these at the same time? If not you may not overload the circuit.

2. If you put your toys on relays you can use the same tap to control them all. Very small amperage. Your air compressor is already on a relay or direct powered?

the line out converter will always be running obviously but im sure that's mim draw. I doubt ill ever use both compressors at once, just wanted to be safe you never know. the compressor for the air bags is not relayed, just fused direct power to a switch. that's how the wiring diagram that came with it said to do it.

scotts2012ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it was me I'd run a relay on the compressors. I'm running one on just my two amp tune ons. I'm ocd about wiring thought

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah, I'm OCD as well. How many amps do your compressors draw? That will really tell whether they should be on relays or not.

Like scotts2012ram said, I'd put the compressors on relays. Use the cig lighter tie in through switches to power the relay trigger circuits.

OP
OP
lokal907ryder

lokal907ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm not sure how many watts the compressors draw. I'm putting a relay on the compressor for the train horn. I'm OCD with wiring too but maybe not as bad as some people. I will add a relay to the other compressor, it's kind of bugged me that's it's the only thing on my truck that's not relayed.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm wondering why I haven't seen your truck around town. You work on the slope?

OP
OP
lokal907ryder

lokal907ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm wondering why I haven't seen your truck around town. You work on the slope?

ya I work on the slope so it sits a lot, i'm surprised I haven't seen yours either. I live in Wasilla what about you?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm also in Wasilla. I work in Russia, likely I'm there while you're on days off and vice-versa. Likely why I haven't seen your truck...

OP
OP
lokal907ryder

lokal907ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm also in Wasilla. I work in Russia, likely I'm there while you're on days off and vice-versa. Likely why I haven't seen your truck...

damn you work in Russia that's crazy, what do you do there?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jovtra