Better MPG and Better Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plus4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I have tested different setups and i have found a way to increase mpg out of dodge products. the best results come from the v8's (5.2,5.9,4.7 & 5.7) you can use this application in v6's (2.7,3.5,3.6) but not as good in result.

i have a 2003 dodge ram 4.7l v8 and i currently get 20 mpg Black Ram (Dodge Ram 1500) | Fuelly... and i haven't lost horsepower or acceleration my best is 23 mpg.

reduce the load on the motor. my normal load is 4% at start-up and at warm 3% normal city driving 5% to 8% load. freeway 12% to 16% load.
(you can monitor your engine load and real time mpg and your average miles by using ScanGauge below picture)
sgmount02.jpg

Normal air filter system is designed to reduce air intake, a cold air intake can rob you of mpg if you don't watch your foot on the pedal. You can take off the normal air filter system back to the Resonator (in-front of your throttle-body if you wish you can remove it but you gain more mpg keeping it on) replace it with a microfiber cloth.
Note: DO NOT PUT MICROFIBER ON RUBBER HOSE, PUT IT ON A SOLID AREA ONLY.

For best results reset your ECU (i.e How to Repair Your Vehicle (Basics): 11 Steps (with Pictures)) )

In City i Shift at 1000 to 1500 RPM, On freeway i shift at 1500 to 2000 RPM.

if your dodge has 20" inch rims those rob you of 3 to 4mpg easy it adds alot of rolling resistance.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4036845/2003-dodge-ram-1500-regular-cab my current setup on ram

Keep:
Resonator
2e3xxtu.jpg

Remove:
Upper cover Air Box
oaotit.jpg

Air Filter element
dos5s6.jpg

Lower cover Air Box
9rt3ti.jpg

Air cleaner hose
6iwwsh.jpg

Replace with:
MircoFiber Cloth 75/25 Blend
a125hg.jpg
(continue reading about microfiber Benefits of Microfiber Towels & Microfiber Mops from ERC Wiping Products, Inc. )

Paper (cellulose) - Most common (below).
May clog faster than synthetic. Will expand and restrict flow when wet.
cellulose.jpg

Oiled Cotton - K&N and others. (below)
Better flow, less filtering.
cotton.jpg

MicroFiber (below)
Better airflow and filtering. The revolutionary technology and effectiveness of the microfiber lies in the construction of each strand. Each microscopic strand of microfiber has been split, creating millions of tiny hooks that attract, absorb and remove all kinds of dirt, dust and bacteria. Each strand of fiber is shaped like a wedge, trapping the dirt until it is washed. Since the dirt gets trapped in the fibers, the same microfiber cloth or mop head can be used for a longer period of time cleaning larger surface areas before having to be laundered. Each square inch of microfiber contains approximately 90,000 fibers.
microfiber.jpg

I HAVE READ THIS POST AND UNDERSTAND IT. I FURTHER UNDERSTAND THAT BY ATTEMPTING THESE ACTIVITIES .I AM VOLUNTARILY
PARTICIPATING IN THESE ACTIVITIES WITH KNOWLEDGE OF THE DANGER
INVOLVED, AND AGREE TO ASSUME ANY AND ALL RISKS OF BODILY INJURY, DEATH
OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, WHETHER THOSE RISKS ARE KNOWN OR UNKNOWN I VOLUNTARILY SURRENDER CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS.

Gfsuperman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm seriously thinking about doing this. Worse come to worse I place in a cai. How often do you switch it out?

axemann030773

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow. Just bought some of those on amazon for washing. Very handy suckers. Might have to try this

Sent from my i-Phone using Tapatalk

Gfsuperman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also, what did you do with your oil drain hose? Catch can?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any microfiber? Or those specifically. **** really want to drop 50 to try a mod lol. Where could I buy say one or two to try? Or will any lint free microfiber towel work.

OP
OP
P

plus4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
have found that 75/25 works best for air flow its thin enough for good engine vacuum. Ive done this setup on Some GM vehicles and it works great. If you want to remove pcv value you can use a oil catch can gfsuperman. If you have a FAI (fresh air inlet, which can be found on some air filter systems most times on the air hose itself) or AB (air breather). You can remove that FAI or AB hose and put a piece of microfiber on it. I did that with my 03 chevrolet impala

OP
OP
P

plus4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Normally every 2 to 3 months I change mine(every oil change)

OP
OP
P

plus4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Simple rule of thumb when messing with AIr/fuel mixture. If you have a MAF sensor or IA sensor that's a far as you can go when removal of air filter systems. I only have IA sensor in my resonator. In my 03 impala I stopped at my MAF sensor

OP
OP
P

plus4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Good exhaust also can help in mpg, I tested a Flow masters and MagnaFlow and got better results in MagnaFlow system because of less restriction of exhaust flow. Flow master sounds great but its close to oem standard.

OP
OP
P

plus4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Sorry for any delays in questions I am working on a site and testing new cars for any questions for faster results email me at [email protected] and put dodge forum in subject line. I will do my best to help anyone of yall. Thanks for supporting this and I hope to hear from you soon

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done some testing myself and the resonator on the 5.7 Hemi is the most power robbing, mpg robbing component within the air intake system itself.

cobra2411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you just have it in the engine compartment like that? Seems like it would suck in hot air.

cobra2411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
warmer the air the engine doesnt have to heat it up allowing for a better burn
Not quite. The warmer air is less dense and thus requires less fuel for given throttle position. It has nothing to do with warming the air for a better burn.

The wiki article mentions this and I would have never thought about reducing pumping losses by inducing a warmer air stream thus requiring a larger throttle opening for a given power output.

Very interesting... Might have to give that a try. It flies in the face of what hot rodders do, but it's not for performance but economy.

OP
OP
P

plus4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
two ones to inducing warm air either placing the air intake near the radiator hose or if you have enough hose to position it near exhaust.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Soon as I feel comftorble with a particular towel im going to try this. Plus.. whered you get your towels?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How often do you clean/swap them out. And do you have it as a single layer or doubled up?

OP
OP
P

plus4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
i change mine at every 3 months and wash it, but you can go every 6 months no problem. you can single fold or double fold it all depends on your engine vacuum .