Big time cab noise. Sounds like I'm runnin' 40s...but I'm not..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roll_HEMI_Tide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm getting a loud, "humming" noise from my truck. It started a couple of months ago, but I didn't really give it much thought. As I keep driving, the louder it gets. Sounds like I'm running 40" Swampers. It doesn't really change with RPM, but it does change with the speed of the truck. The faster I go, the louder it gets. When I brake, it changes to real deep humming sound.

I'm fairly sure it's not tire noise, I'm running stock-size Goodyears with less than 12,000 miles on them.

Tires, brakes, front-end, rear-end...any ideas?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
How long has it been since you rotated the tires? This sounds just like tire noise. Even if they have been rotated on schedule, check to make sure they are wearing evenly. If you rub your palm across the tire, is it completely smooth, or can you feel bumps along the way?

OP
OP
Roll_HEMI_Tide

Roll_HEMI_Tide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm due for a rotation pretty soon. They look to be wearing evenly and feel smooth. They are bottom-tier Goodyears (LS2). I really hate them...driving in the rain is a terrible experience.

I Google'd my symptoms, came across a post from a guy with similar symptoms. Turned out to be something in the rear-end. Which reminds me, I do get a shimmy/vibration from the rear after accelerating from a complete stop.

ATRepair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a wheel bearing go out on my 2000 Jimmy a few years ago and it made a mud tire growling sound.

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When my pinion bearing gave out in my old explorer, the sound your describing is exactly what I heard.

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it coming from one area in particular, front, rear, drivers side, passenger side? Does it change when you turn the vehicle one direction or the other?