Bigger Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoatmanBill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hello Everyone, Good chance this question has come up before, but can’t find it. I have 2020 Ram Laramie 4x4 quad cab, stock tires 275/65R18 wearing out. Want to get tires with some more aggressive treads for snow/sand/occasional off road. How big can I go?, not lifting or leveling, without rubbing any wheel wells and keeping the original 18” rims? Majority driving will be on the highway, so wife wishes the new tires be relatively quiet. Tires I’ve researched for aggressive tread and fairly quite are: Michelin LTX A/T2, Kumho Road ventures AT51, General Grabber A/TX, Firestone Destination A/T2, Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S and Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT. Suggestions of size and brand will be much appreciated. Thanks so much for your help.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Just a heads up, you're not really going to be able to satisfy both of your needs, a more aggressive tire and quiet on the highway. Don't really go together. A mildly aggressive altering is going to provide some moderate noise. Nothing like a heavy mud terrain would do, but definitely not as quiet as a highway tire. Personally, I don't think it's worth doing if you're not going to level it at bare minimum. You also have to remember that if you're going to go to a bigger tire, you're going to be changing the overall diameter, which means you're speedometer, odometer, and ABS function is not going to be accurate anymore.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not familiar with your truck and rim size, but I have been using Nittos (my favs) and BFGs for years on my trucks and haven't found the road noise to be bad.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
+1 on what Canadiankodiak700 said. I’m running ATX tires in your original stock size and while the ATX tires are hybrids designed for a combination of terrain they get louder as they wear. Mine were relatively quite new but now halfway through their life they are noticeably louder. I personally don’t mind the rumble but my wife hates the noise as your wife has indicated as well. Her little CUV has Uniroyal Tigerpaw street tires and the difference in noise level is quite noticeable. If she frequently travels in the truck with you may want to consider a less aggressive tread.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what if I put a 2 inch leveling kit on??
Not sure what you’re asking. A leveling kit to reduce noise or a leveling kit to accommodate larger tires? A 2 inch front level will absolutely decrease your mpg, ask me how I know. Lol

2021Ram3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I put a 2 inch leveling kit on the front and can now run 35's. Check out Goodyear Duratrac for a great tire for what you're looking for. Great tire, only downside is they will wear a bit faster then other tires but that's the price you pay for better grip.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Are you staying with the stock 18" rim? You won't gain much, 1" over all and 1/2" in height, there is one P rated 275/70R18 tire (not sure if you want to go wider). This should only effect your speedo by 2 MPH at 65 and it is about the same weight as your stock tires, not sure about noise.

It looks like General makes two 275/70R18, (4 ply) Grabber A/T X and APT.

Last edited:

Mil T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put a set of Falken Wildpeak RT 285/75R/18. Falken changed the design for both AT and Mudder for 2023. They almost look the same tread wise but the mudder has a little more space between the lugs. They are supper quiet and this is a 34.8 inch tall tire and 11.5 inches wide. Fits great on my stock wheels and stock suspension. 2019 Ram Rebel. They also come with a 50K mile warranty. They are tough tires and work really well both on road and off. I used to be a BFG KO2 and AT and K)# Mudder user and the switch was the best thing I have done. They are cheaper than most other equivalent tires.

Dewbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3.5” in the front & 4.5” rear……Nittos on stock 20” x 9” rims…..285’sx65r’s catalog specs out to 34.75 I believe…..very little noise on the hi way….damn tires are expensive!!!!!!

Attachments

• 7A8EC0E1-5D41-4454-9B80-CF154ADC9550.jpeg
    7A8EC0E1-5D41-4454-9B80-CF154ADC9550.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 11

Tohopko

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I would think you could run this just fine, from the research I've done. Most of what I have read says the Toyo AT3s are pretty fantastic for traction and for noise. Going up in size will put you in an LT rated tire, most likely. That means a much heavier tire, along with a loss of fuel mileage and a stiffer ride.

This website has a plethora of sorting options to find tires in the right size. I'm doing the same searches right now--from what I've read, you can get by with up to 34" diameter unlifted and unleveled on most stock wheels, as long as you don't go too wide.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
How big can I go?, not lifting or leveling, without rubbing any wheel wells and keeping the original 18” rims?
How long is a piece of string?

It all depends on the ACTUAL tire. Not all 33x12.50/20s are the same size. And it's not just the Overall Height and Width (which you can possibly get from a mfr website), but also WHERE within those dimensions a tire lives. They are only providing the MAX, on a specific rim size, AND you better hope they are not lying.

Bottom line, the only way to know FOR SURE is to put the tires on and see.