What All Season Tire for 2018 Big Horn? (Yes, Another Tire Thread)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chefgordiemac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I bought a used 2018 Big Horn in May 2021. I put on a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S +2 to replace the junk that the truck came with. Love them. Great traction, wet or dry, quiet, great ride.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve just spent over an hour trawling through the numerous tire threads here. I didn’t find a recent thread that addresses my needs so, yes, I’m starting yet another tire thread.

I drive 98% on paved roads, occasionally will go on dirt and/or gravel roads in rural settings to get to boat launches on lakes. I’m in Minnesota so I do see some deep snow and some icy conditions but it’s almost always in an urban setting, meaning it’s gonna be plowed within a day or two. Even with the stock Goodyear Wranglers that came on the truck I’ve never gotten stuck in snow, though I’m certain there must be better performing tires for snow/ice conditions.

I’m not looking for an all-terrain tire since I don’t go off road. I want a comfortable and quiet ride at freeway speeds. And even if I were after an all-terrain tire the most highly recommended AT tires on this forum--Falken Wildspeak, Cooper Discoverer AT3—do not come in the stock tire size of my truck, which are P275/60R20.

My priorities are:
Ride comfort
Ride quietness
Good traction in wet/snow/ice conditions
Decent treadwear, but doesn’t need to be excellent

When I do internet searches using these parameters the Michelin LTX Defenders show up a lot. I hesitate on the Defenders because I’m probably not going to have my Big Horn for more than 2-3 years, and I only drive about 7,000 miles a year. (Was less during Covid.) So I’m not too excited to lay out almost $300 per tire on something I’m only going to own for 25% of its rated life.

Maybe I’m overthinking this because I’m going to sell the truck in 3 years or so, but the Goodyears that came on the truck are needing replacement and they have only 29,000 miles on them. I’ll likely put on 20K-25K miles in the next 3 years so I need tires that will have good tread on them when I sell.

So what are your recommendations?
Discount Tires Pathfinders A/T. Yes all terrain but are quiet, good wearing, great dry road handling, etc. run them on all three Rams I have.

REDinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew
Engine
5.7 2wd 3.92
upon recommendation from my "tire shop" neighbor across the street I put on a set of his Discount Tire exclusive highway tire, the Bridgestone "Dueler LX". now, this strictly is a 2wd street truck, so I just want it to ride like a 6 ft tall Cadillac, and on those now it does (they blow away the factory Goodyear).

I am only familiar with the Bridgestone's performance here in the southwest, I'd ask the Discount Tire boys up north if this tire is worth a damn in the snow?!?
And FWIW the Mrs. has a '13 JGC 4x4 with those Michelin Defender LTX on it. She swears by them in the snow on ski trips to northern Arizona.
20230426_124713.jpg20230925_141057.jpg

Last edited:

Fishinguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve just spent over an hour trawling through the numerous tire threads here. I didn’t find a recent thread that addresses my needs so, yes, I’m starting yet another tire thread.

I drive 98% on paved roads, occasionally will go on dirt and/or gravel roads in rural settings to get to boat launches on lakes. I’m in Minnesota so I do see some deep snow and some icy conditions but it’s almost always in an urban setting, meaning it’s gonna be plowed within a day or two. Even with the stock Goodyear Wranglers that came on the truck I’ve never gotten stuck in snow, though I’m certain there must be better performing tires for snow/ice conditions.

I’m not looking for an all-terrain tire since I don’t go off road. I want a comfortable and quiet ride at freeway speeds. And even if I were after an all-terrain tire the most highly recommended AT tires on this forum--Falken Wildspeak, Cooper Discoverer AT3—do not come in the stock tire size of my truck, which are P275/60R20.

My priorities are:
Ride comfort
Ride quietness
Good traction in wet/snow/ice conditions
Decent treadwear, but doesn’t need to be excellent

When I do internet searches using these parameters the Michelin LTX Defenders show up a lot. I hesitate on the Defenders because I’m probably not going to have my Big Horn for more than 2-3 years, and I only drive about 7,000 miles a year. (Was less during Covid.) So I’m not too excited to lay out almost $300 per tire on something I’m only going to own for 25% of its rated life.

Maybe I’m overthinking this because I’m going to sell the truck in 3 years or so, but the Goodyears that came on the truck are needing replacement and they have only 29,000 miles on them. I’ll likely put on 20K-25K miles in the next 3 years so I need tires that will have good tread on them when I sell.

So what are your recommendations?
The Falken Wildpeak does come in 275/60-20. I just got a set installed today. I went with the LT instead of the P metrics because they have 5/32” more tread than the P’s. I’m in Ontario and don’t want to switch summer and winter tires and the Wildpeak at3w is rated with the 3 peak mountain/snowflake symbol for severe snow.
I get into some crazy lake roads towing the snowmobile trailer to go ice fishing.

Fishinguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
upon recommendation from my "tire shop" neighbor across the street I put on a set of his Discount Tire exclusive highway tire, the Bridgestone "Dueler LX". now, this strictly is a 2wd street truck, so I just want it to ride like a 6 ft tall Cadillac, and on those now it does (they blow away the factory Goodyear).

I am only familiar with the Bridgestone's performance here in the southwest, I'd ask the Discount Tire boys up north if this tire is worth a damn in the snow?!?
And FWIW the Mrs. has a '13 JGC 4x4 with those Michelin Defender LTX on it. She swears by them in the snow on ski trips to northern Arizona.
View attachment 528934View attachment 528937
Hey from Canada. Ya those tires aren’t getting you to the end of the street in winter up here where I am. In Quebec the next province over they even have a snow tire law from December to April or May.

TitoT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a used 2018 Big Horn in May 2021. I put on a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S +2 to replace the junk that the truck came with. Love them. Great traction, wet or dry, quiet, great ride
How many miles on them? Mine are at 25k and trashed.

Crane Brook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi v8
I bought MICHELIN Defender LTX® M/S to replace the stock Bridgestone Duelers on my Limited 2 x 4.
The Bridgestones didn't live long, (not entirely their fault), but they were much smoother and never got loose on wet roads and did well on sandy job sites.
The Michelans ride HARD, my luxury work truck no longer feels like luxury, just another truck... very disappointed with the Michelan tire. I rather have a short lived smooth tire than being beat to death riding around town. Seriously disappointed.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Guess I better decide soon. I just got this email from Ram. They have a wide selection, including most (all?) of the tires discussed in this thread.

Ram Tire Deal Oct23.jpg .

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
$1 dollar for that last tire!??? That's 100 cents ....C'Mon!! That 3rd tire is 'free' on a Fleet Farm sale! :DLOL

I bought some tires from the local small-town GM dealer last year on a similar deal they were running. Plus there was a tire mfgr rebate. It all worked out great. The nice thing is they have a brand new Road Force tire balancer & Changer, and the guys know how to use it. I took my old wheels in when they weren't very busy (that's how I like to do it) and it was me and 4 other mechanics working on the tires, and BS'ing. They did a great job.

Pirelli Scorpion ATs: I agree with the post above ...Pirelli makes a real nice tire IMO. I had a set on a different truck for years, 285/75/16 (33"). They wore like iron, smooth and true as could be. I got a ton of miles out of that set. I was really satisfied ...but the tread on that tire was not conducive for good winter/snow driving. Not good at all in the snow. They weren't classified for good snow use either (they were on when I bought the vehicle). When they wore down to 30% they appeared bald and were even worse in the snow. Fortunately it was during covid, didn't drive a lot, and not much snow that winter. But fantastic tire in all other conditions and I'd definitely buy another set of Pirelli's ..esp if I didn't live in the snow belt. But Pirelli has models better suited for snow.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP....

Sooooo what tires are you 'leaning' towards ...now that we've all bombarded you with a ton of options! LOL

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
OP....

Sooooo what tires are you 'leaning' towards ...now that we've all bombarded you with a ton of options! LOL

The Continental TerrainContact or the Michelin Defenders. I didn't see the Cooper Discoverers you suggested, probably because as you indicated, they are exclusive to Walmart. I would consider the Falken Wildspeak AT3 if I could find some objective data on their noise and comfort level.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those are all good tires. Ask the dealer if any of those mfgr's are running any rebates if you buy a set of 4. Often they do in the fall, outside of a dealer's "special" pricing. That might be an extra bonus.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6

EddyS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi, I live in northern B. C. and run Nokian tires on all my vehicles, but I run dedicated summer and winter tires. I found them to give the best service and have yet to ever have traction problems with the winter tires, I have never been stuck. I have averaged around 100,000 kilometres for each set and usually replace the winters at around 30 to 40% tread left. The one thing that Nokian does and I like is cast the tread percentage right into the tread itself, don’t know if any other manufacturer does that. They are a little more expensive expensive than some other brands but I feel they are worth the money and my wife likes the security feeling when driving.

slickracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I out Continental LX20’s on my 2018 Big Horn in April. It’s only driven on the street and they super quiet with good road manners. And only $793 out the door with the deal Mopar was running at the time.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If it hasn't been mentioned ,there is a $100 rebate on Cooper tires , took advantage of a $75 rebate on them a couple years ago the Cooper AT3 XLT . To date the best tire i've run on my 2014 3500 .

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Michelin Defender LTX M/S ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2010 2500 5.7 Texas Longhorn edition,,,,On my second set. First set could of gone 85k. 285/70/17
You just have to watch the Ya Hoo's rotating the tires. Discount tire in Texas messed my rotation up which now caused uneven wear. Started marking my tires with sharpie 1,2....2 being the rears and 1 being the front. Discount did not rotate two of my tires and now the wear pattern has set. I also take my metal valve stem caps off before I go....so I can have them after the rotating and not a bunch of mismatched caps. Live and Learn.
Glad to hear I am not the only one that discreetly marks a tire when supposed to be "rotated" to insure done. I also jam up my SA at dealership and not let air hammer kid hammer on lug nuts, make em torque to 130 ft lbs with torque wrench. I also carry a TW in truck and verify and also pop hood and verify oil changes when dealership does. I do this right in front of them. Just me being a BOIRD.