Bilstein 4600, improper installation ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jetsfan122

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express Crew Cab White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I had a shop replace my OEM shocks(front and rear ) with Bilstein 4600’s. I went with the Bilsteins after reading through posts here about how much better they were than the OEM. Anyway, the truck rides so much worse now. It feels more “trucky” and bounces all over the place. I installed the hellwig rear sway bar last year and with the new bilsteins it’s as if it isn’t even there. Also, the other day, I had to stop short because someone in front of me did the same, and while slamming my brakes, I hit a large bump and a loud clanging metal noise came from my front end. It literally sounded like the truck was falling apart. I don’t think they properly did the install. Sigh, it’s so hard to find good shops.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I think I've read about people putting a washer in the wrong location when installing Bilsteins causing noise but you would think a shop would know how to install them.
As for your ride, I've heard some people describe Bilsteins as you can drive over a dime and know whether it's heads or tails. Factory shocks even when new are give a plushy/smooth ride

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think I've read about people putting a washer in the wrong location when installing Bilsteins causing noise but you would think a shop would know how to install them.
As for your ride, I've heard some people describe Bilsteins as you can drive over a dime and know whether it's heads or tails. Factory shocks even when new are give a plushy/smooth ride
The washer in wrong place is often discussed relative the 5100 billys. I've never read it in regards to 4600s.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just did a quick look see around & apparently the 4600 install instructions are **** poor on where the various washers & bushings go. I can tell you when I had my 5100s installed at a lift specialty place, there were 2 guys at the counter, both mechanics. The 40 something owner of the shop would have installed them "like any other shock" he said (which could have resulted in pic below). The other, 60 something obviously more experienced mechanic knew exactly what I was talking about. I said "I want YOU to work on my truck!"

9b2eb64b8aaf7fa6ff466c7eab7d83e1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk