Bilstein 5100 question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,
Installed Bilstein 5100 part # 24-187367 on 2019 Ram Rebel. I followed a video on the install, I wanted to level the truck I moved the circlip to the 4th groove for a 2.1 lift. The video said because its a Rebel do not use the spring seat adaptor. Well after completed the height did not change. Still 37 1/2 front 39 3/4. What did I miss, not using spring seat adaptor? Thank you!

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,
Installed Bilstein 5100 part # 24-187367 on 2019 Ram Rebel. I followed a video on the install, I wanted to level the truck I moved the circlip to the 4th groove for a 2.1 lift. The video said because its a Rebel do not use the spring seat adaptor. Well after completed the height did not change. Still 37 1/2 front 39 3/4. What did I miss, not using spring seat adaptor? Thank you!
The spring seat adapter must be used regardless of ride height position. Without the adapter installed the OEM spring seat has nothing to rest on. I believe the Rebel has a one inch higher stock ride height with the use of a spacer so the recommended setting is 2.1 to account for the already higher factory ride height. The 2.8 setting would give the Rebel a nose high stance. I’m not sure how not installing the spring seat adapter is even possible. Without the adapter your OEM spring seat would drop to the bottom of the shock tube and provide no absorption benefit. The seat would fall and the spring would drop from the top plate. Unfortunately I think you’re going to have to redo the entire setup.

OP
OP
T

Tommy Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the information! The OEM spring seat is using the circlip not to drop. I will redo this weekend it doesn't take too long when leaving the brakes / rotors attached to the spindle. Thanks again!

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the information! The OEM spring seat is using the circlip not to drop. I will redo this weekend it doesn't take too long when leaving the brakes / rotors attached to the spindle. Thanks again!
You are welcome Sir. I have been there myself. I have a V6 forth gen and I failed to consider the lighter weight of the Pentastar V6 versus the Hemi. I originally installed my 5100’s on the 2.8 setting only to have a nose high “level”. Had to take it all apart and set them at 2.1. I used four suicide spring compressors as those springs are not like car springs LOL. I believe the third generation 1500 bilstein struts didn’t use a spring seat adapter but the 4th and 5th generations do. Happy wrenching.