bilstein 5100 shocks on Stock 2500 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Hey Guys

I have done a search but cannot find the answer I am looking for. I have a 2022 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4L with stock suspension. I want to replace the shocks with bilstein 5100 because it seems the 4600 are stiff when not loaded. Will the 5100 fit stock suspension or is my only choice the 4600?

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The 5100’s do fit the 2500’s. Had them on my last 2500. Check out shock surplus. With that being said I don’t think your going to get a softer ride going with the 5100’s in fact I believe the 4600’s were designed for a softer on road ride while the 5100’s are better for handling off road things. Don’t get me wrong they are a great shock but if looking for better ride I would adjust your tire air pressure and see if that helps. No need to run max pressure when unloaded.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I am looking for better towing. Last year my passenger rear shock leaked. Ram could not get a replacement (10K miles) because of the strike. I installed on the rear only a set of rancho shock but towing with them is horrible.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We can get you set up, we are supporting vendor here. You can get 5100's for the rear. Message me if you would like a quote

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I'd personally go with 5100's in the rear and 6112's in the front on a 2500 series 4x4 truck.
Set the fronts to your desired height, and then get an alignment.

If you're looking for more back end help when towing, maybe also add in some high quality rear bags to assist with the loads ;)

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Set the fronts to your desired height, and then get an alignment.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the height solely determined by the coil spring? If you put taller/shorter springs in you may need to adjust your shock setting to match but I'm not so sure that shock setting alone with change anything. Its not a 2 in 1 strut like the 1500s.

I just leveled mine 2 weeks ago but I also put in longer shocks so I haven't seen what happens if you change one and not the other.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am looking for better towing. Last year my passenger rear shock leaked. Ram could not get a replacement (10K miles) because of the strike. I installed on the rear only a set of rancho shock but towing with them is horrible.
For towing I would do the bags like mentioned. Airlift 5000 bags are simple to install and help a ton for towing. Shocks alone will not really help with towing. The problem is the springs that ram uses for a better ride but will allow the rear of the truck squat when loaded down. I know nothing about the ranch shocks so can’t comment on how they are but the bilstien shocks are a good shock and the 5100’s are great budget friendly upgrade over stock.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the height solely determined by the coil spring? If you put taller/shorter springs in you may need to adjust your shock setting to match but I'm not so sure that shock setting alone with change anything. Its not a 2 in 1 strut like the 1500s.

I just leveled mine 2 weeks ago but I also put in longer shocks so I haven't seen what happens if you change one and not the other.
Bilstein B8 6112 leveling kits are designed to provide more ground clearance, allow for larger tires, and increase wheel travel. Multiple snap-ring grooves in the body allow for different spring seat positions, providing 0-2.75 inches of front lift (depending on application). These kits consist of (2) 60mm shock absorbers combined with (2) custom matched cold wound coil springs and (2) billet aluminum spring seats. (taken from the Bilstein website)

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Bilstein B8 6112 leveling kits are designed to provide more ground clearance, allow for larger tires, and increase wheel travel. Multiple snap-ring grooves in the body allow for different spring seat positions, providing 0-2.75 inches of front lift (depending on application). These kits consist of (2) 60mm shock absorbers combined with (2) custom matched cold wound coil springs and (2) billet aluminum spring seats. (taken from the Bilstein website)
Dude, what are you smoking? We're talking about a 2500 series truck. The coil spring mounts between the frame bucket and the axle, and the shock has nothing to do with it.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Hey Guys

I have done a search but cannot find the answer I am looking for. I have a 2022 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4L with stock suspension. I want to replace the shocks with bilstein 5100 because it seems the 4600 are stiff when not loaded. Will the 5100 fit stock suspension or is my only choice the 4600?
My $.02...The 5100 is a stiffer shock, but that helps with the ride because it dampens the spring more, keeping it from acting like a pogo stick as it tries to put your head through the roof. It's won't "soften" the ride, but will make it more comfy because you're not getting launched off the seat every time you hit a bump. I had them and liked them. Fox shocks will do the same thing, but are a bit more aggressive for off road work.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I tow a 8000lb trailer and have a WDH. Tongue weight of the trailer is 1250lbs when fully loaded and I carry about 1100 pounds in the truck. My cargo is 3028 per the sticker so not over loaded and with the WDH my front is up 1/4 inch and rear is less then a inch. I dont think I need bags, just more control of the bumps. I live in Northern NJ and camp in NY and PA and the road can be pretty harsh. The current shocks (stock front, Rancho rear) seem to give a weird ride when loaded probably due to the different make and valving in the shocks. So I am looking for something that will absorb more of the bump instead of transmitting it to the truck. I have already lowered the tires to 65lb and dont want to go more due to weight carrying. I dont want to level the truck as when I tow it will be more front high, as its almost level now.

I even thought about Fox but they are more off road and the only off road this truck see is gravel roads. I even tought about going rear stock again, I can now get them.

Thanks so far with all the info you guys are giving.

DRam2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For towing I would do the bags like mentioned. Airlift 5000 bags are simple to install and help a ton for towing. Shocks alone will not really help with towing. The problem is the springs that ram uses for a better ride but will allow the rear of the truck squat when loaded down. I know nothing about the ranch shocks so can’t comment on how they are but the bilstien shocks are a good shock and the 5100’s are great budget friendly upgrade over stock.
Airbags do nothing for helping with towing, other than taking out some of the squat. Squat imho isn’t a bad thing, it makes you realize you have a heavy load on the hitch which in turn is removing weight from the front axle. Airbags do not transfer weight back to the front axle.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Airbags do nothing for helping with towing, other than taking out some of the squat. Squat imho isn’t a bad thing, it makes you realize you have a heavy load on the hitch which in turn is removing weight from the front axle. Airbags do not transfer weight back to the front axle.
You are completely wrong about airbags not helping with towing. If that was true, Semi Trucks and their trailers that are used on our highways would not use them extensively. You need to quit parroting internet lore and learn how towing dynamics actually work.

You need a WDH, the right springs, shocks and airbags to get the right results. Air bags do not provide sway control in wind as well, and they do not resist the weight transfer onto the hitch, that reduces weight on the front axle, in hard braking like a WDH does, but they do level the truck, and they do shift weight forward, absent hard braking.

This is well worth the read, explains it better than I want to type out.

Last edited:

Steny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Hey Guys

I have a 2016 Ram 4x4 Cummins. I switched to the 5100’s two years ago. Didn’t make much of a difference on or off road. They only provide 2” or less travel. I have stock coils & 4 link rear. I tow a flat bed trailer with SXS about 6 times a year.i lowered my air pressure to 50 lbs. that made a Hugh ride difference on the road. Much smoother. I run 285 BFG KO2’s.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Bud with that trailer billstien 5100 series is all you need, as well as kyb red tube as another option. I had the same experience with Rancho, they are horrible, no rebound whatsoever. I went kyb instantly better, as well as running bills in the ram and love them. But for real I'm not sure it will be different then 4600 series, I know they are very different for front shock as leveling feature allows for more travel, but for the back shock I believe they are the same with no option for ride height. Maybe try kyb's, more rebound then those horrible ranchos and are firm as well.

Dustyroadz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Had stock,had stupid "get out and adust your shock Ranchos",now on Bilstein.
*Bilstein is the way to go.*
***NEVER lower your tire pressure below max(printed on side of your tires) when towing that 8000 LBS...it'll heat those tires up quick and ......
Best get yourself a sway bar with 1250 on your tongue and bed load....make dang sure youre tires can handle the rear loading.

Air bladder will do you great justice for a level ride and handling but is a pain like Ranchos adjustables.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You do what works best for you and makes you happy towing. I didnt say it would transfer weight back to the front axle. I dont need the rear of the truck to be sitting on the bump stops to realize I have a heavy load. I have towed plenty in my life and can tell you the air bags help alot. They stabilize the load and keep the rear of the truck from bouncing like a pogo stick. But to say they help with nothing is a very wrong statement.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Had stock,had stupid "get out and adust your shock Ranchos",now on Bilstein.
*Bilstein is the way to go.*
***NEVER lower your tire pressure below max(printed on side of your tires) when towing that 8000 LBS...it'll heat those tires up quick and ......
Best get yourself a sway bar with 1250 on your tongue and bed load....make dang sure youre tires can handle the rear loading.

Air bladder will do you great justice for a level ride and handling but is a pain like Ranchos adjustables.
Eh, that depends on what the tires are rated for. You don't always have to run max tire pressure when towing. That heavily depends on the load. Also, why would you need a sway bar? The truck already has them. 1250 lbs on the tongue isn't a big deal on these trucks. Certainly not enough to require a heavier than factory sway bar.