Bilstein 5100 vs 6112/5160

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Hey all,

Just upgraded to a 2014 4x4 from my 2wd and I’m looking for some opinions. Having a hard time deciding if I want to go with Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners or 6112 in the front and 5160 in the rear. I’ve found tons of posts about the 5100 but I’m having a hard time finding details about the others. I mainly want to get a bit of a lift to add 17’s on 35’s. Mostly city driving but definitely plan to hit the trails every now and then for some camping trips.

Any info to help steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
awwww the hood was what I still want but done a lot on mine !

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Very true but I personally dont have any interest in doing that in the truck I just paid 40k for but I get it lol. Now if I was a millionaire and had money to burn you can bet your ass they would he on there along with my blown 426 stroker lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
was in ohio miss normal people was in starbuck ohio nice town great country roads 100 mph all the time hill jumping great times ! bet ur truck starts right up right !

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought Bilsteins have lifetime warranty
They do assuming they crap out on you while taking the truck to the mall.

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/blog/understanding-bilstein-warranty-procedures-policy/
Exceptions exist to all instances of warranties and include:

• Original equipment shock absorbers (vehicle manufacturer warranty)
  • Improper installation
  • Racing, driving competition or off-road use
  • Modified use or other than BILSTEIN recommended vehicles
  • Commercial vehicles
  • Bent or broken Rods showing abuse or abnormal wear
  • Surface finish
  • Boot or mounting hardware
  • Rubber bushings
  • Labor charges
  • Aftermarket modifications to BILSTEIN products (springs, top hats etc.)

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They do assuming they crap out on you while taking the truck to the mall.

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/blog/understanding-bilstein-warranty-procedures-policy/
Exceptions exist to all instances of warranties and include:

• Original equipment shock absorbers (vehicle manufacturer warranty)
  • Improper installation
  • Racing, driving competition or off-road use
  • Modified use or other than BILSTEIN recommended vehicles
  • Commercial vehicles
  • Bent or broken Rods showing abuse or abnormal wear
  • Surface finish
  • Boot or mounting hardware
  • Rubber bushings
  • Labor charges
  • Aftermarket modifications to BILSTEIN products (springs, top hats etc.)

Haha! Taking the The shocks off pavement will void the warranty! Best post about Bilsteins ever! :)

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Looks like there's nothing left to do here but blow these up and get some 2.5s.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yeah they do... well, except 5160/8100/8112/5125/5165/8125/9200/9300 - and you have to retain your proof of purchase and they still sort of make it a hassle unless your seller/installer goes to bat for you a little.

Incidentally the Bilstein rear shocks that come with the Mopar lift kit? 5160's... so no lifetime warranty on those.

I really like what Bilstein makes, my wife's car is on Bilsteins, my Ram is on Bilsteins, the 4x4 I just sold is on Bilsteins, prior 4x4 was on 'em.. and I have never needed the warranty thankfully because whatever some of these dudes are doing to blow theirs up, I'm apparently just not doing it.

But I also know that if I did need the warranty it wouldn't be worth two squares of used toilet paper. Maybe because too many people abused it or they don't have good enough means of discerning between true abuse or insufficiently well built products to wear a lifetime warranty but either way, warranties that are tough to exercise are useless.

OP
OP
Hbrichman

Hbrichman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Appreciate the replies from everybody helping me make a decision and supplying some some really great info. I’m pretty sure I’m going with the 6112’s paired with Fox 2.0 out back. I think for what I plan on using them for it’s the best bang for my buck. Plan on ordering them soon along with new wheels/tires so when everything’s on I’ll be sure to post updates.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Appreciate the replies from everybody helping me make a decision and supplying some some really great info. I’m pretty sure I’m going with the 6112’s paired with Fox 2.0 out back. I think for what I plan on using them for it’s the best bang for my buck. Plan on ordering them soon so when they’re on I’ll be sure to post updates.
You really won't be disappointed. Just keep the height to around 2-2.5" in the front and the ride will be really nice. The fox 2.0s really compliment them and the rear suspension in these trucks. Especially for rough roads and mild trail riding.

I am not nice to my truck and have no complaints at all.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L

I actually used that "life expectancy" verbage specifically because that's what a Bilstein rep told me when I asked about rebuilding their 6112/5160. He said when their life expectancy is met, they should be replaced instead of rebuilt. He also seemed to infer part of the reason for that is the price point that they're in. I'm not a Bilstein hater at all, I've had Bilsteins on 3 trucks over the last 12 years. I never had to make a warranty claim, so I don't have firsthand feedback on that process. I do doubt that it's a simple process though, I'm sure there's a lot of red tape involved plus I would just assume there would be some prorating on older shocks.

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Appreciate the replies from everybody helping me make a decision and supplying some some really great info. I’m pretty sure I’m going with the 6112’s paired with Fox 2.0 out back. I think for what I plan on using them for it’s the best bang for my buck. Plan on ordering them soon along with new wheels/tires so when everything’s on I’ll be sure to post updates.

That'll be a sweet setup for sure. The 6112s are some big bodied beauties. The 2.0s in back should work out better for you than the 5160s, too.

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I hope you will post pics of the "before" and "after" of your current and upgrades respectively. I've been wanted to upgrade my front suspension and am interested in you results.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My setup = 6112's @1.3, stock rear coils w/ fox 2.0's (and airlifts for towing/hauling)

I still have rake and can use the truck as a truck with out being nose high. The ride is drastically better than stock, a little firmer but drastically more controlled and planted.

My truck is mainly a street truck with no hard offroad at all (access/dirt roads, yards, etc..). I had the funds and wanted a better ride than just 5100's

Khalil1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
V6
My setup = 6112's @1.3, stock rear coils w/ fox 2.0's (and airlifts for towing/hauling)

I still have rake and can use the truck as a truck with out being nose high. The ride is drastically better than stock, a little firmer but drastically more controlled and planted.

My truck is mainly a street truck with no hard offroad at all (access/dirt roads, yards, etc..). I had the funds and wanted a better ride than just 5100's
Okay, so I am debating weather i should get the 5100s or 6112/5160s, and I use my truck for daily commute (rarely sees any offroading).
But as far as I read online, the 5100s should be enough for on-road and highway applications, even they guy who I'm about to install them with told me to get the 5100s if I'm planning to use the truck mainly on the street.

So what do you guys think? my main goal is to improve the ride quality especially for bumps/uneven surface on the street and at high speeds on the highway.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The only reason I went with any strut change was for the level (5100s) If you expect some massive change in the ride and thats the big reason, you may be disappointed. The Rams ride pretty darn good stock.

Otherwise to answer your question, go with whatever is cheaper of the 2.

Some will say the 6112s are a big improvement over stock due to the aftermarket coils. I can't speak to the Ram but I had a Tacoma with 5100s then 6112s and noticed zero difference.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Okay, so I am debating weather i should get the 5100s or 6112/5160s, and I use my truck for daily commute (rarely sees any offroading).
But as far as I read online, the 5100s should be enough for on-road and highway applications, even they guy who I'm about to install them with told me to get the 5100s if I'm planning to use the truck mainly on the street.

So what do you guys think? my main goal is to improve the ride quality especially for bumps/uneven surface on the street and at high speeds on the highway.

The 5100’s are not in the same class as the 6112’s hence the leap in price. At the end of the day you get what you pay for. Everyone feels, see’s and hear’s things different that’s why you have people buying high end speakers and quality TVs. In my opinion if you want to improve your ride the 6112’s would be more beneficial

Flryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my 2012 Tradesman quadcab 4x4 with a 4.7 I just installed the 6112's and set them at 2.4". I put 5100's in the back on stock springs. It rides exceptionally well. The master mechanic who aligned the truck said there was plenty of adjustment remaining in the cam's. I have stock UCA's. I went with the 6112's for their larger diameter body and piston. I also thought that at 115K, the front springs might as well be replaced by ones designed for this application. The springs that came with the 6112's have larger diameter spring material and are only slightly taller than the stock springs.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 2012 Tradesman quadcab 4x4 with a 4.7 I just installed the 6112's and set them at 2.4". I put 5100's in the back on stock springs. It rides exceptionally well. The master mechanic who aligned the truck said there was plenty of adjustment remaining in the cam's. I have stock UCA's. I went with the 6112's for their larger diameter body and piston. I also thought that at 115K, the front springs might as well be replaced by ones designed for this application. The springs that came with the 6112's have larger diameter spring material and are only slightly taller than the stock springs.

Congrats, I've had my 6112's for 3 years now and they still ride great.