Bilstein 5100 vs Rancho quicklift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawki1cr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to level my truck. I'm debating between bil 5100s or rancho quick lift. I know ranchos are twice the price. Is that the only reason people on this site seem to prefer bils? Seems to me that the price would be worth not needing to rent a spring compressor or to have to mess with the springs at all. Anybody have any input?

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Looks like a good reason to me. Get two 5100 shocks for the price of just 1 rancho. Renting a spring compressor is just a term, you're technically borrowing it with a deposit. It's free at almost every auto supply store. Bils are also adjustable, you just get more for your money.

It will probably only save you 25 mins of install time using ranchos. Is 20 mins worth $200?

IMO

Last edited:

gator_79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have used the Rancho's in the past and I loved them, that is what I'm going to put on my new truck soon. I have a buddy who has ran the Bilsteins and he loves them. I think it comes down to personal preference, in my opinion the Rancho's give a slightly better ride quality, but only slightly. Rams looks awesome leveled so I think you will be happy with either choice.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have Ranchos on my truck and I love them so far. I debated over Bilsteins/Ranchos, went with Ranchos because of ease of installation and availability. Bilsteins regularly are out of stock for months at a time and they were when I was looking.

I think Bilsteins are a better made product and they offer more height options. You get about 2" with Ranchos whereas Bilsteins go up to 2.8". The adjustable dampening on the Ranchos are something I've never used and probably never will.

However with Ranchos you get new springs. The install is crazy simple and quick. I both of mine installed in under 3 hours in my driveway. Ride quality is exactly the same as stock.

Either is a great choice for leveling. If I had to do it again I'd go for Bilsteins only because they are a monotube design and will probably last longer. My .02

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had this very debate with myself for the past 3 or 4 days. But I've always been a "do it yourself" kinda guy, so in the end I ordered the bilsteins just last night. I've played with plenty of spring compressors, so its not a big deal. It seems to me performance wise its a win win either way.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct me if I am wrong.
Bilstein 5100 are monotube and Ranchos are twin tube (like the ones that come stock on the truck).

Rancho does offer a rebate from time to time.

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have Ranchos on my truck and I love them so far. I debated over Bilsteins/Ranchos, went with Ranchos because of ease of installation and availability. Bilsteins regularly are out of stock for months at a time and they were when I was looking.

I think Bilsteins are a better made product and they offer more height options. You get about 2" with Ranchos whereas Bilsteins go up to 2.8". The adjustable dampening on the Ranchos are something I've never used and probably never will.

However with Ranchos you get new springs. The install is crazy simple and quick. I both of mine installed in under 3 hours in my driveway. Ride quality is exactly the same as stock.

Either is a great choice for leveling. If I had to do it again I'd go for Bilsteins only because they are a monotube design and will probably last longer. My .02

3 hours?! Took me 1.5 with the bilsteins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hawki1cr

Hawki1cr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never used a spring compressor before. Is it truly easy to use?

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel like the Ranchos are worth the money. Not only is the rancho easier to install, but you get a new coil spring too. I feel like after 50,000 miles on my truck, the front end has started to sag a tiny bit. And the adjustment of the shock is a nice feature too. Its a huge difference in ride quality between the 1 setting to the 9 setting. You will probably find the setting you like the most in the first month then leave them alone, most people do. But like I said, its a nice feature to have the adjustment for when you want to switch it from your everyday commute ride to a slow speed weekend off roading trip.
AND btw, Rancho does make a monotube shock, its the 7000 series. But it is not available as a leveling shock for the front of the 4th gen ram.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had rancho's on my sport, after a year the compression adjusters seized and were no longer adjustable, new outdoordman will be either bils or fox

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I feel like the Ranchos are worth the money. Not only is the rancho easier to install, but you get a new coil spring too.

Its like replacing a door handle .. And just buying a whole door instead. You don't need a new spring.

IMO

Cyborg2337

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I researched both for months (mostly on here). I recently went with the Bils mainly because several guys on here were not getting the advertised height of 2.25" with the Ranchos. In fact a couple guys got well under 2". I like Rancho but after reading about those it turned me away. There seemed to be a little too much inconsistency with the QLL's. Bilsteins seem to be truer to their advertised lift heights. When you have two excellent products to choose from I went with the one that had fewer complaints and more rave reviews. The guys here helped me make my decision and I'm very happy with my Bils at 2.1". To say the ride is better than stock is a huge understatement. My vote is for the Bils, they are a great product and less expensive and if you are mechanically inclined enough to do the install then using a spring compressor won't be an issue and won't add much time. Hope this helps.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
ranchos can be had for about the same price as the bilsteins. just wait until they run their spring shock promotion. i ran them on my last truck. they were nice, zero complaints. if your looking for a good alternative to the bilsteins, they are it.

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
3 hours?! Took me 1.5 with the bilsteins.

Took me 6 hours in a shop with a lift, but I also did UCA's. It also didn't help that I had never done this before and had very little clue as to what I was doing haha. Still came out right and looks awesome.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the Ranchos are a great alternative for the average driveway installer. I found them at Rockauto for $154 (each) so you are roughly $125 more when said and done compared to the Bilsteins. With the Ranchos you won't have to chase down a spring compressor or chance a mishap if you are inexperienced. You do however get new springs, I could see that as desirable for guys at 50k or more.

Just watch a couple of videos on youtube and how it is done, both methods and see if one is more desirable. Don't expect to get anything over 2" with the Ranchos though. They are advertised at 2", some guys say even less but I've met MANY people who do not know how to use a tape measure either. ;)

I am due for new shoes this year and will probably go with the Ranchos. I have no problem paying for convenience. ;)

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Forgot to mention, I got 2" of lift with the Ranchos which is what they were advertised as. If I did go with Bilsteins I had planned on setting them at 2.1 anyway.

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took me 6 hours in a shop with a lift, but I also did UCA's. It also didn't help that I had never done this before and had very little clue as to what I was doing haha. Still came out right and looks awesome.

Nice work! I'd done it before (with spacers) on my truck so I knew what to expect.