Bilstien 5100/4600

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamNooby21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2wd 3.7
I just started looking up these shocks yesterday and I am new to truck mods in general so I am pretty lost. I wanted to have a better ride than the way stock is right now but not too stiff. I also liked the idea of the 5100s being able to level my truck by lifting in 2in in the front. At this point I don't even know if the 5100s would work with my truck and if the 4600s are my only option. I have a 2002 1500 2wd and I've read on other forums that the 5100s only work on the 4wd for that year. I don't know what to think so any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

shocking14u

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Ram 2500
Engine
Diesel
Bilstein

Sounds like the shocks that you are referring to are the 5100 series Bilstein's for the later model (06+) 1500 with a strut style front shock. Your particular truck has a coil spring separate from your shock (even though your shock runs through the coil). So if you wanted to lift your truck you would need to run a 2" lifted coil spring, along with a longer length shock like the Bilstein 5100 Series.

If you were not going to lift your truck, I would highly recommend the Bilstein 4600 series units fit with your stock coils.

Hit me up if you need more info.

OP
OP
R

RamNooby21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2wd 3.7
Sounds like the shocks that you are referring to are the 5100 series Bilstein's for the later model (06+) 1500 with a strut style front shock. Your particular truck has a coil spring separate from your shock (even though your shock runs through the coil). So if you wanted to lift your truck you would need to run a 2" lifted coil spring, along with a longer length shock like the Bilstein 5100 Series.

If you were not going to lift your truck, I would highly recommend the Bilstein 4600 series units fit with your stock coils.

Hit me up if you need more info.

Thank you! That definitely clears things up. Do you know much much the lifted coil spring combined with the longer shocks would potentially cost? I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth it to try to level my truck or if I should just settle with the new shocks at stock height.

shocking14u

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Ram 2500
Engine
Diesel
2.5" front lift coil springs from Maxtrac run $159.95 and the correct length Bilstein 5100 series front shocks would run $169.00 for the pair.

OP
OP
R

RamNooby21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2wd 3.7
2.5" front lift coil springs from Maxtrac run $159.95 and the correct length Bilstein 5100 series front shocks would run $169.00 for the pair.

Thank you! So right now the suspension of my truck rattles pretty bad going over most bumps. Do you think that these shock absorbers would help solve that issue?

shocking14u

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Ram 2500
Engine
Diesel
Rattles can come from almost any moving suspension component. I would crawl under there and look for things that appear worn out / loose. These trucks are notorious for worn out shock bushings, but I would check everything else too so you make sure you are covering what needs to fixed. If you are going to do coils and shocks, it is a good time to replace anything else that is worn out at the same time.

RamFLScott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With a large rubber mallet, you can tap on things to try and find the certain rattle you hear in the cab. Exhaust system, loose shock tubes, worn bushings, loose brake calipers....