Blackout or not. Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
13 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi
Engine
SLT Outdoorsman
2013 outdoorsman, used to be true blue pearl you, with metallic grey rockers, bumpers and wheel wells, recently damaged by delivery truck, so had whole truck repainted factory pub, love the monotone. Wheels are 20's from 2003 ram 1500. Chrome. Debating paintingbwheels flat black and either debasing or blacking all badges. A little darker tint on windows. So question, should I paint wheels flat black and black out or debadge , or leave wheels and badges as is. Sorry for night time pic.

Attachments

• 20170615_205922.jpg
    20170615_205922.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20170615_205958.jpg
    20170615_205958.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Ram Year
13 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi
Engine
SLT Outdoorsman
Oh yea, I just picked up a leer 100rcc cap, having it painted factory PBU,should be ready in a few days.
Also pulled drop in bed liner and ordered bedrug.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I love the smooth body look of debadged vehicle as for the rims I prefer black maybe you could Plasti dip them so you can change it before you do something permanent

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love the smooth body look of debadged vehicle as for the rims I prefer black maybe you could Plasti dip them so you can change it before you do something permanent

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Agree, plastidip first then go permanent if you like it!

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree, plastidip first then go permanent if you like it!

This is good advice, I just did it to the GF's charger recently to see if she liked black, gloss, or satin finish... saved me a ton of work and got a decision to paint them.

Just don't use the rustoleum in a can plasti-dip..... it sucks. took about 15-20 coats.. literally even after shacking the hell out of it and going back and getting other cans and giving them back the ones that didn't cover.... it covered about as well as vht night shade.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since you're asking for opinions...mine is that the blacked out look is getting old and played out. Also, removing all badges IMO doesn't look good either. I like removing the Ram 1500 on the doors and that's it. Again just my opinion.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Ram Year
13 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi
Engine
SLT Outdoorsman
I like the plastidip option, so I can just coat it and see if I like it, if not I guess it's easy to remove. So I would not even sand the chrome then, that way when I take it off they are not trashed. Wife likes the chrome, and when clean they look good. I am leaning towards flat black. But now I have options/ decisions.

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Blackout badges and blackout rims that's the way to go with me. Truck looks really good

4.7 v8
Hi flow cat/flowmaster exhaust
7 inch lift/5 inch lift
20 inch falken wildpeak at3/33's

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the plastidip option, so I can just coat it and see if I like it, if not I guess it's easy to remove. So I would not even sand the chrome then, that way when I take it off they are not trashed. Wife likes the chrome, and when clean they look good. I am leaning towards flat black. But now I have options/ decisions.

Everybody has their own opinions and what counts is your opinion. If you want to go blackout, plastip is a sure cheap method to be sure that is what you want. It seems you have an itch to see what it will look like. I figured it would cost me about $1200 to get all my chrome blacked out all around and I did the plastidip to be sure that is what I wanted. I'm set on it. In the meantime, I can focus on the rest of my mod desires and the blackout mod the clean way can wait until the end. Just make sure you spray it on nice and thick, especially on those badges. It will be easier to remove when you are ready to remove it and get it done in a more professional manner.

My plastip has lasted and looks fine after 7 months. Only issue is the step bars, they need to be repainted frequently because the pads are so tight I cant get paint in between the crevice and they eventually peel. My bars would require I break the pads off at a cost of $100 bucks to replace. I want different bars anyway, so I repaint them every few months. Other than that, everything else has held up fine. I might even consider sticking with the plastidip, but next time I will spray with my gun, rather than the cans. I'm confident that method will hold up much longer. Good luck!

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here you go. Blackout test. Badges, bumpers, grill step bars. See that chrome sticking out on the bumper. If that piece is hugging your chrome bumper, you need to remove it. The paint slightly made it under, but tightened once dried and now the chrome shows. Fyi, do it right the first time, I screwed up!

EDIT. Just realized you don't need to worry about bumpers grille or step bars. You're like 80 percent of the way there already...Lol....

Attachments

• IMG_20170616_204442.jpg
    IMG_20170616_204442.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20170616_204423.jpg
    IMG_20170616_204423.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Obviously you can tell I like the no badge clean look. But that is just me, your mileage may vary.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Ram Year
13 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi
Engine
SLT Outdoorsman
yes, I got hit by a stair delivery truck, his big iron step, scraped down the side of my bed. big ass deep tear. so when in body shop, sales guy was hey, you know you have $450 in insurance claim for paint, for $400 more I will paint the whole damn truck.. I paid another 200 to get all the little dings, bullet holes and such repaired, got rid of all the metalic grey two tone paint on rocker panels, wheel wells etc, , funny, now I cannt even remember what color bumpers where, so I went with same factory color PBU, tru blue pearl, now I am loving my truck all over again, looks brand new. I don't hate the chrome, but blacked out trucks look bad ass. I almost had truck painted flat black, but would have cost too much, apparently flat black auto paint is harder to do, gloss black was 3rd choice, but would hate to see door jambs and suckh a different color, seemed half assed. I am happy with factory blue, in fact I bought the leer 100rcc and am having it painted blue now. I am way to busy to test the plati dip, if weather is nice I am painting those rims sunday, or not....

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Ram Year
13 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi
Engine
SLT Outdoorsman
So I started the process, half way through I decided aga9nst blacking out rims, after thoroughly decreasing and washing chrome, I stopped, i guess just to lazy to take time to do it right, gonna put blackout on hold for future. Leaving the little bit of chrome left on for now. So I'll do an oil change instead.