Blew Diesel Engine Computer- ETC,Stereo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peter K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,
2007 6.7 Diesel
End result: had to replace engine computer.
I want to know your thoughts on my conclusion. Having the Kicker amps on, having a trailer with lights on and electric brakes, the truck lights on, wife's phone stuff plugged on, AC on, wipers on, playing around with the cruise control (accel and decal often)......is it possible that 136amp alternator could not keep up? Sending the batteries low, effect the "fly by wire" throttle" and eventually toasting the computer? At what point would you replace Alt for a bigger one?

Here's the story:
Last fall I installed 2 kicker amps, maybe 1300 watts total. Drove for a couple hundred miles and parked it for winter.
Spring 2014, planning a trip from CT to SC with a trailer to pick up a car. Prior to leave I brought it in to the dealer for 5 recalls. They only need 2, both computer flashes.
Trip there during the day was fine. Part of the trip back in the day was fine also. I believe when it getting dark, the ETC light comes. I continue to drive for 40 minutes to a hotel. Next morning, pouring rain. Set off and after 90 min ETC light comes on again. Pull over turn truck off then restart. Within 5 miles light comes on and the check eng light. Erratic revs.
Drive 12 miles to a dealer. The replace AF cleaned out nest and sent me on my way. Needless to say, both lights came on. They then replaced ETC unit. No go.
Had to have the truck shipped back as the dealer was not a big help.
With truck back, I drove it around without trailer and all the stuff on. No ETC light but CEL. One battery said Alt was good the other battery said Alt bad. I charged up both batteries and everything there is fine since.

Finally brought to local Dealer. They again replaced ETC unit. Did not fix problem. They eventually put my computer in another truck and it did the same thing. So, bad computer. Now I'm getting soaked by them....which is what it is.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I would get an alternator that has a minimum of 160+ amps. There are a lot of places that sell alternators for dodge trucks. Make sure you get one with a warrantee.

I have a 250 amp alternator from these guys in my truck:

Dodge Ram Truck High Output Alternators

Bolted right in with no problems. Had it for 4 years now.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500