Blinker not blinking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texans18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Recently changed my front right blinker bulb, turns on, but still does not blink. What other issues could it be? Could it be the turn signal relay?

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Maybe swap the right and left bulbs to see what happens? I am assuming the LH (driver's side) does blink now and the original front right bulb did blink until changed.

OP
OP
T

Texans18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The LH side was always able to blink, I did not change that bulb. The right original bulb also turned on but did not blink. Very rarely it will blink, but is significantly less dim than the left and then will go back to not blinking for awhile.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If the blinker fluid is good it may be TIPM, see if fogs are working correctly? And if there are any other little things like windows on fritz? If it is just one side and occasionally blinking, it could be wiring to that bulb?

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The LH side was always able to blink, I did not change that bulb. The right original bulb also turned on but did not blink. Very rarely it will blink, but is significantly less dim than the left and then will go back to not blinking for awhile.
Then I suppose it could be the turn signal relay. I am assuming the same relay controls both sides. It could be the contacts for the RH side have gone bad, i.e., making but not breaking, in that case.

On edit: Maybe I'm giving bad info previously. :) Looking over the TIPM relay diagram, I don't see a relay for the blinkers. Now I have to think the blinkers are controlled by the BCM.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I remember when turn signals had a relay under the dash that made noise when they were on. I haven’t replaced one in years. Do our trucks have them? If they do and it’s bad that would cause the no blink situation.

OP
OP
T

Texans18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Then I suppose it could be the turn signal relay. I am assuming the same relay controls both sides. It could be the contacts for the RH side have gone bad, i.e., making but not breaking, in that case.

On edit: Maybe I'm giving bad info previously. :) Looking over the TIPM relay diagram, I don't see a relay for the blinkers. Now I have to think the blinkers are controlled by the BCM.
Alright, so what I am getting from all of this now is that it could be faulty wiring or a bad BCM?

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Alright, so what I am getting from all of this now is that it could be faulty wiring or a bad BCM?
That's the way I'm leaning as well as the TIPM. Probably some YT videos on this out there.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could also be the turn signal switch in the steering column, bad ground, bad socket, wiring is faulty. Do you have a meter to diagnose power and continuity?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also does the right rear signal blink? Does the EVIC show a bulb out message? BCM’s and TIPM’s are expensive, check wiring including the ground before sinking cash into the expensive stuff.

OP
OP
T

Texans18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Also does the right rear signal blink? Does the EVIC show a bulb out message? BCM’s and TIPM’s are expensive, check wiring including the ground before sinking cash into the expensive stuff.
I do not have a meter to check power and continuity. The rear signal does still blink and the EVIC shoes the message for a "bulb out" when it is not blinking. But again wont show the message when it does blink every so often.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I do not have a meter to check power and continuity. The rear signal does still blink and the EVIC shoes the message for a "bulb out" when it is not blinking. But again wont show the message when it does blink every so often.
I think I'd try to find where that front turn signal connector picks up its' ground. I'm betting it's connected to the body in close proximity to the light assembly.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I think I'd try to find where that front turn signal connector picks up its' ground. I'm betting it's connected to the body in close proximity to the light assembly.
I'm going to say the ground goes back to the BCM, that's in part how they determine if the bulb is working.

@Texans18 what does the bulb socket look like on the turn signal look like? Might be a bad socket which is replaceable.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to say the ground goes back to the BCM, that's in part how they determine if the bulb is working.

@Texans18 what does the bulb socket look like on the turn signal look like? Might be a bad socket which is replaceable.
Sounds like ground or socket, though wire "could" be bad. Check socket for power to it with a meter. They are real cheap, U can even get a low end meter for like $15 at TSC. U do not need the $129.00 one, lol.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

I'm just guessing. :) They are hundreds of pages of wiring diagrams for the truck in the shop manual. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to search them efficiently.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would get a different bulb , wrong one or bad
I would meter the voltage and compare to other side

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Recently changed my front right blinker bulb, turns on, but still does not blink. What other issues could it be? Could it be the turn signal relay?
The turn signals are on the LIN BUS system. Diagnosis requires equipment and training which few DIY'ers possess. If you do NOT seek professional diags, it is likely that you will spend a fortune "NOT" paying a professional by replacing expensive components unnecessarily.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely blinker fluid!!! J/K, watching this thread to see what caused the problem just in case it ever happens to me. Hope you get it worked out, would drive my OCD crazy, not to mention if it does not blink it could be dangerous if someone across from you doesn't know you're turning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca