Block coolant flush after cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jelih

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm putting everything back together after a cam and lifters swap. When I was cleaning the top of the block and pistons, a bunch or nasty gunk got into the water jacket, and I need to flush it.

If I dump distilled water in through the hole circled in red, it'll come out of the holes circled in yellow, yes?

I will put the oil pump, pan and timing cover back on first so I don't get nasty water all over the timing components, and I will have the truck as level as possible. I just don't want to end up with a clogged radiator or heater core when it's all back together.

Attachments

• 20240309_142403.jpg
    20240309_142403.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 7

Sur5er

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Leave the pan off, no sense flushing all that crap into the pan.

OP
OP
jelih

jelih

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Leave the pan off, no sense flushing all that crap into the pan.
If the pan is on, along with the timing cover, I don't think any of it can get into the pan. It's be like if you just went outside and pulled the water pump off without removing the timing cover. Those 3 holes would be exposed, but the timing cover gasket would keep it from getting into the oil, just like how it works normally with the water pump in place.

Am I missing something?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There's a block drain on both sides of the engine,wouldn't hurt to pull them if you can, to help flush out the block

OP
OP
jelih

jelih

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's a block drain on both sides of the engine,wouldn't hurt to pull them if you can, to help flush out the block
I saw about those in an earlier thread, and found both of them. The passenger side is accessible, but idk if I can get the driver side out without removing the starter first.

But it would help a lot bc the truck is currently on an incline nose high and that would lessen the need to have a sketchy front wheel chock situation with the rear wheels off the ground. If I'd thought about this specific part, I'd have backed it in the driveway and just turned it around to burp it on the refill.