Blower Motor Potentially Going Out? Unusual Fan Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Hey friends,

I wanted to ask if you can listen to this video of an up and close recording of the noise of my Blower motor and it's a little noisier than this but not by much when it's really cold in the interior. Maybe a cleaning or wd-40 to the motor shaft would help? I haven't removed it yet sounds like there is shaft play without looking at it when running on low speed and there's slight growl:

https://youtube.com/shorts/6eel8SpouLM?feature=share

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
also the blower works on every speed so the resistor should be just fine.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
WD-40 is a penetrating oil, not a lubricating oil. If you attempt to lube the motor bearings use something like like Super Lube.
Chance are lubing the bearings are just delaying the inevitable failure of the motor.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
WD-40 is a penetrating oil, not a lubricating oil. If you attempt to lube the motor bearings use something like like Super Lube.
Chance are lubing the bearings are just delaying the inevitable failure of the motor.
Thanks for the tip, did you have a chance to listen to the video and if so, whats your take on the sound?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Have you checked the filter? Also, they make a vent cleaning fogger/aerosol that might contain a lubricant. It gets sprayed into the vents.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Have you checked the filter? Also, they make a vent cleaning fogger/aerosol that might contain a lubricant. It gets sprayed into the vents.
Ok I'll look into that and yeah the filter is new

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok I'll look into that and yeah the filter is new
Was the old one pretty dirty? Sometimes debris can fall down there that was sitting on top of the filter and gets scrapped off when you pull the old one. You might be able to record what's going on in there with a cellphone...don't drop it or it will get louder!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
3 screws & a wiring plug, should take it out
Good chance of debris being in there, if the CAF Door was cut out to install the filter

That reminds me, i never checked my fan cage, to see if the dealership vacuumed it out, after cutting the hole for the CAF door

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
2017s have a removable filter door for the cabin filter and yeah I need to just get into it and check it for dirt and debris and take some canned air or compressor and blow it out

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
3 screws & a wiring plug, should take it out
Good chance of debris being in there, if the CAF Door was cut out to install the filter

That reminds me, i never checked my fan cage, to see if the dealership vacuumed it out, after cutting the hole for the CAF door

I just removed my blower motor. It was pretty clean inside no dirt came off the blades really but some came out from where the bearing would be located. I sprayed compressed air best i could and it made it a little quieter but not much. It's not worth replacing the blower motor at this time. It has zero play. I'm not gonna to replace the damn thing unless it starts sounding like the Rock Biter from The Neverending Story. If I can only find some kind of cleaner/lubricator vent spray product, i'd definitely try it.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If there is a sealed bearing/bushing at the bottom of the motor (all mopars used to be this way), you can take and drill a small hole in the cap and it will keep moisture out but you can also add some heavier oil into it - drill the hole, turn upside down, add a few drop of gear lube while spinning the cage and working it in and out a bit.
I have fixed hundreds of them this way over the years.
Often what happens in condensation gets down in there over time and makes it sing.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I think something like this might work

their motto

If it slides, rolls, swivels or squeaks, Super Lube® it!​

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I think something like this might work

their motto

If it slides, rolls, swivels or squeaks, Super Lube® it!​

if only I could see an example of how someone has lubricated theirs because it is closed off, no way to really get it in the area it needs to be (that's what she said).

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if only I could see an example of how someone has lubricated theirs because it is closed off, no way to really get it in the area it needs to be (that's what she said).
I just looked at picture of a blower motor, they are different than the ones years ago. I don't know if you still can or not. The picture looked like there were 2 screws that might come out and release the motor, but I honestly don't know for sure I haven't done any of the newer ones.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I just looked at picture of a blower motor, they are different than the ones years ago. I don't know if you still can or not. The picture looked like there were 2 screws that might come out and release the motor, but I honestly don't know for sure I haven't done any of the newer ones.
On my style I have to just replace it but it hasn't gotten obnoxious enough yet to replace lol. $100 for Rock Auto or parts geek or $220 from Mopar. Insane. But the resistor is built in.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just removed my blower motor. It was pretty clean inside no dirt came off the blades really but some came out from where the bearing would be located. I sprayed compressed air best i could and it made it a little quieter but not much. It's not worth replacing the blower motor at this time. It has zero play. I'm not gonna to replace the damn thing unless it starts sounding like the Rock Biter from The Neverending Story. If I can only find some kind of cleaner/lubricator vent spray product, i'd definitely try it.
This is what I was referring to earlier...

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That noise would drive me nuts. I've replaced a few blower motors over the years to fix noise like that.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
That noise would drive me nuts. I've replaced a few blower motors over the years to fix noise like that.
Yeah my father in law seriously said, just replace it when it stops working. I wanted to slap him like Rick James