Blown Bilsteins after 1500 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stewi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So last week my truck started making an awful clunking noise on right turns. I parked it for the night and crawled under it the next morning to find the steering rack boot on the right side was wet. So I figured the rack seal blew out, made sense, dropped it off at the dealer for warranty. Dealer calls me today and says the fluid on the rack was actually oil, there was a small oil drip from spilled oil during my last change that was dripping down onto the rack. They had the truck up in the air and showed me both front Bilstein 5100's had leaked and the right side one was much worse than the left. I have just under 1500 miles since the Bilsteins were installed. They were set at 2.8", Mevotech control arms and wheel alignment done the day after I installed them. Truck is rolling on 35" MT Baja ATZ's. Anyone have problems with their Bils???

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I havnt heard this yet wither. Kind of weird both were blown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
I'm trying not to freak out. [emoji45]

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe on here but it's happened. Been almost 6 years since I've bought Bilsteins so I don't remember if there is any manufacturers warranty ? Or maybe contact where you got them and see if the will exchange.

Barcelo5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 6 speed with mds
I don't like the sounds of this! How was your driving habits? A lot of off road use? Not that this should happen either way though really. Just curious. Hope there covered under some kind of warrenty.

OP
OP
S

Stewi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't like the sounds of this! How was your driving habits? A lot of off road use? Not that this should happen either way though really. Just curious. Hope there covered under some kind of warrenty.

I drive a little aggressive but the truck saw 99% paved street use and a single day of driving down a dirt/gravel road, maybe 1/4 miles long, 6 or 7 times. It's never seen any type of "real" off-road.

On another note, I just did did some poking around and I found the dealer sprayed down both sides of the front suspension in PB Blaster Penetrating oil. I'm going to look up inside the strut boots tomorrow, if there is PB blaster inside, I'm going back to the dealer and I'm gonna throw a **** fit like they've never seen. When they showed me the first time, I was in nice clothes and I didn't go grabbing anything or smelling the "leaking strut oil." If they are going to try and pull a fast one on me, I'll crush them.

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bilstein has a lifetime warranty on the shocks. Unfortunately you may have to pay the labor to get the shocks swapped out. Contact Bilstein and see if there is something they are willing to do. Given how both shocks only lasted 1500 miles, you might, just might, get Bilstein to help with the labor cost.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had mine at +2.8" for about 7500 miles , I've beat the hell out of mine at times this past deer season , once my front end even got a little airborne ! Mine are still great and still better than stock shocks imo

OP
OP
S

Stewi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Called the dealer out on spraying the suspension down with PB Blaster. Dealer calls a meeting with the service advisor, general manager and technician. Technician denies spraying PB blaster on anything, then I showed everyone the pictures. The technician then admits he sprayed it down with PB Blaster. Manager sends him home and spends the next 15 mins apologizing. I hate the stealerships, I mean dealerships. All of them.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like your dealer-customer is always right, taking the tech out. The tech isn't the dealership, and dealer responded to your complaint timely and resolved employee problem. Employee lied to dealer and you.

Last edited:

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Called the dealer out on spraying the suspension down with PB Blaster. Dealer calls a meeting with the service advisor, general manager and technician. Technician denies spraying PB blaster on anything, then I showed everyone the pictures. The technician then admits he sprayed it down with PB Blaster. Manager sends him home and spends the next 15 mins apologizing. I hate the stealerships, I mean dealerships. All of them.

what about the clunking sound you heard.....what was the cause of that?

OP
OP
S

Stewi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what about the clunking sound you heard.....what was the cause of that?

I gotta bring it back my next day off (Wednesday) to get that resolved. In my opinion, it's steering system related. It's either the tie rods or the rack itself. I took the truck out today going over bumps, curbs, etc and not a single noise was made until I make a full wheel-locked right turn. I'm gonna pull the Mevotech control arms off and put the stock ones on just in case they try to blame it on that.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Why would the tech try to make this seem like a different issue? They dealership gets paid either way, warranty or no warranty.