Boosting fuel economy on a 2013 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbillyjimbob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 liter Hemi. I am thinking about getting a performance chip or a throttle body spacer or a cold air intake, or a combination 2 or 3 of those things. I just want to do anything I can do boost fuel economy. Does anyone have any thoughts about which of those would be more worthwhile? If I add a performance chip then would a cold air intake or a TBS have the same effect if I use the 2 together or all 3 together?

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would be utterly shocked if any mod like those boosted your mpg. A TBS is a complete waste of money. If you want to boost mpg stay off the skinny peddle and drive in the right side lane. That's about all you can do. You may see an increase in mpg by turning off MDS while driving in the city. A tuner, manual shifting or tow/haul button can accomplish that. Once you start modding kiss the mpg goodbye. That has been my experience anyway.

Last edited:

Nubster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I read, with the "standard" mods such as CIA, exhaust, throttle body, and tune, you might realize a 2-4 mpg increase but of course it's going to cost you well over $1000 to get there. Then you'll have such a boost in performance, it might be hard to drive it in a way to maintain that increase in mpg...lol

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The r o I has never shone much improvement. I am in your same boat. Drive like there is an egg under the throttle halps.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
CAI, Bully Dog, and 85mm TB. Will increase your MPG but it will also increase the magnetic pull of your skinny pedal.

HOTRODHARLEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 liter Hemi. I am thinking about getting a performance chip or a throttle body spacer or a cold air intake, or a combination 2 or 3 of those things. I just want to do anything I can do boost fuel economy. Does anyone have any thoughts about which of those would be more worthwhile? If I add a performance chip then would a cold air intake or a TBS have the same effect if I use the 2 together or all 3 together?

Go with a CAI and a Diablosport tuner on the "Mileage Booster" tune. I've had good luck in the past with them on my '09 Silverado. In a few weeks I'll be testing that tune on my 2000km round trip back to Sask with my new 2013 Ram. Lots of highway KM is where the "Mileage Booster" will shine. Around town....? Meh...

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Diablo's mileage tune is actually the worst tune they offer for both performance and mileage on the new hemi trucks. While many of the basic bolt ons will help fuel mileage, none of them will show enough of an increase to justify them as the sole reason for buying them. If you are looking for a performance boost and slightly better mileage, then they are perfect...that is what they are designed to do. If you strictly want mileage, then inflate your tires to the max printed on the sidewall, and try to never go over 1500 rpms.

smokinstorm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you strictly want mileage, then inflate your tires to the max printed on the sidewall, and try to never go over 1500 rpms.

This technique works for me especially because I never drive over 55 MPH. I can do it as I'm an old fart but my teenage son just cannot drive conservatively enough to get good gas mileage to save his life. It's going to get worse the more things I buy from Matt also I'm afraid. The skinny pedal beckons.

HOTRODHARLEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Diablo's mileage tune is actually the worst tune they offer for both performance and mileage on the new hemi trucks. While many of the basic bolt ons will help fuel mileage, none of them will show enough of an increase to justify them as the sole reason for buying them. If you are looking for a performance boost and slightly better mileage, then they are perfect...that is what they are designed to do. If you strictly want mileage, then inflate your tires to the max printed on the sidewall, and try to never go over 1500 rpms.

I'll be the judge of that on this trip. I average 20-22mpg on the highway... We shall see what happens. I think I'll run the mileage booster on the way there. And my 93hemifever tune home.

And yes. Pump up your tires and keep those rev's as low as you can.

chrisb38002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just my $.02, but will the little bit of mileage you get out of inflating the tires above the vehicle recommended pressure be enough to offset the cost of replacing the tires sooner? Increasing the tire pressure also increases the center wear, so the tires don't last as long.
The best I've seen is just keep it at the speed limit, letting the MDS do it's job on the highway, and go easy on the skinny pedal around town. Although that's really hard to do when you have the 400hp talking to that right foot.