Borla Muffler Install Pics and Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Is this the same muffler as on the S-type cat-back. I got the S-type and it was just as you said during the first week. Now in week 2 is hardly makes any noise.

Not sure, sorry. My truck doesn't seem to have gotten any quieter after a month and a half.

OP
OP
R

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
nice! do you have part #'s for the clamps?

3" Lap joint clamp = Walker 33272
3" Narrow band clamp = Walker 36439
2.25" Narrow band clamp = Walker 36437 x 2

I got these locally and they were all available within 24 hours.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Very cool. I like that this allows you to put the muffler as far back as possible.

OP
OP
R

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sounds good. Do a in cabin video while driving

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Made these while driving home from work yesterday.....

BONUS CONTENT!!!.....you get to listen to me try to breath through a head cold lol.

In-truck cold start: https://youtu.be/3ypHI4XO-3k

In-truck low speed cruise, MDS on and off: https://youtu.be/bL17DqM6u6I

Highway merge: https://youtu.be/Pbnqj_adZyA

Highway cruise, MDS on for most of it: https://youtu.be/YRBzEcMupCs

2nd gear pull: https://youtu.be/KVskrJJSFSg

tator2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you havepic from under the truck showing the fit, using the original outlet locations?

What to make sure I don't run into a snag when putting the pipes back on and alignment of tips.

Thank you!

OP
OP
R

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Do you havepic from under the truck showing the fit, using the original outlet locations?

What to make sure I don't run into a snag when putting the pipes back on and alignment of tips.

Thank you!

I'll try to get one this weekend.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3" Lap joint clamp = Walker 33272
3" Narrow band clamp = Walker 36439
2.25" Narrow band clamp = Walker 36437 x 2

I got these locally and they were all available within 24 hours.

sounds great, thanks for the p/n's

thekevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have to admit I really like the sound of the Borla muffler, and I nearly ordered one this week - one question though, I noticed the OEM muffler (2017 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi) has hangers on it and the replacement borla does not. How did you all overcome that with your self installations?

Thanks much!

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have to admit I really like the sound of the Borla muffler, and I nearly ordered one this week - one question though, I noticed the OEM muffler (2017 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi) has hangers on it and the replacement borla does not. How did you all overcome that with your self installations?

Thanks much!

Hey, Larry, I don't know if you went back to review all the posts the OP made in this thread, but back on page 2, he said this about the hangers:

"It's suspended from the piping. It's rock solid, the mid-pipe has a hanger right in front of where my extension pipe joins the OE exhaust."

This setup seems ideal for those like it mild and drone free...it also'd be nice if the OP would give us a shot of the whole thing installed, but regardless, I appreciate the post and work he did. I'm thinking I'll have to get the same thing on my Reb!

TXCOMT

OP
OP
R

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The exhaust setup is still rock solid and sounds great....in my opinion at least. I'll take a pic under the truck when I can. I'll probably add some of the Borla 4.5" tips when I can.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good deal, thanks R! I've already got a ProXS headed to the house, so when it arrives, I plan on showing your pics to my muffler guy for fabbing a similar setup. Again, I appreciate it...I've been pondering an exhaust solution for my Reb for quite awhile.

TXCOMT

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
I have the same muffler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badpewterz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The exhaust setup is still rock solid and sounds great....in my opinion at least. I'll take a pic under the truck when I can. I'll probably add some of the Borla 4.5" tips when I can.
hey did you ever get the installed pic? very interested to do this to mine. thanks

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed a Borla muffler on my '13 QC in July. I thought it might be helpful to share what I used and what it sounds like.

I used all stainless...muffler, extension pipe and clamps:

Borla Pro XS muffler part #400486. It's 3" in and dual 2.25" out. This part # has slotted inlets for clamping rather than welding.

1 x Walker stainless 3" band clamp (lap joint)

1 x Walker stainless 3" narrow band clamp

2 x Walker stainless 2.25" narrow band clamp

Approximately 17" of stainless 3" pipe with 1 end flared to 3" ID. Got this from a local shop that I've been going to since I was a kid :) I started with 2' and cut to fit. I'm not sure if a regular cab truck would need less.

I finally adjusted the tailpipes this morning so that they were lined up how I wanted them. It's probably worth noting that Walker also sells replacement clamps for the swivel joint on the tailpipes. The part # for those is 36523.....just in case you break one, like I did lol.

Unfortunately, the OE muffler did not survive the process as I was forced to cut it off due to rust. It will be fondly remembered for it's visual impression of an oil drum, weighing more than Shaquille O'Neal and sounding like a giant hollowed-out catalytic converter.

Video with muffler installed:

Muffler:

5ORTy27.jpg

Parts

6YQxbI5.jpg

Assembled as it went on the truck

6EWWjhb.jpg

can I ask the exact size of the extension pipe? Measurements inlet and outlet too?

OP
OP
R

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
can I ask the exact size of the extension pipe? Measurements inlet and outlet too?

You want 3" OD pipe with one end flared to 3" ID. Get 2' length and cut to fit. My truck is a quad cab so I can't speak to what length a crew or regular cab truck would need. I used a hacksaw and a mitre box for a clean cut. I then cleaned the cut with a Dremel.

I assume the differences in wheelbase are made up in the mid-pipe that is located between the muffler and y-pipe but I could be wrong.

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You want 3" OD pipe with one end flared to 3" ID. Get 2' length and cut to fit. My truck is a quad cab so I can't speak to what length a crew or regular cab truck would need. I used a hacksaw and a mitre box for a clean cut. I then cleaned the cut with a Dremel.

I assume the differences in wheelbase are made up in the mid-pipe that is located between the muffler and y-pipe but I could be wrong.

cool, yeah I'm in a QC as well

tator2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got mine installed. We welded on reducers down to 2.25 on the outlet and then only needed 12" extension on the 3" inlet side. Sounds amazing.