Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kentm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hey Guys/Gals,
I’ve been having an issue with my aftermarket brake control for some time now. When I plug my trailer into the seven pin connector the brake control lights up as expected. When I press the brake peddle the brake control isn’t recognizing it so the trailer brakes don’t engage. If I use the manual slide on the brake control the trailer brakes work as expected. Using a test probe light I can see there is power going into the brake control on the black wire. Power coming out of the brake control on the blue wire when the manual slide is engaged. However, there is no power coming in from the brake light switch on the red wire when the brake peddle is pressed. The brake control is a
Tekonsha 9030 Voyager Electronic Brake Control. I tried replacing the brake light switch but that hasn’t helped.

Note: The truck and trailer’s brake lights DO work as expected.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Kent

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like it may be time to trace out the red wire and check for bad splices/connections. That's the best I can think of right now. Maybe someone will have other ideas. Without checking myself maybe the red wire comes out of a module of some type and that's bad.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If my memory serves me correctly, the 2013 and 2014 RAMs used different brake signaling than traditional. I think the signal is inverted and you need a special harness to enable the brake controllers sensing of the vehicle's brake.

I'm not familiar with the brake controller model you have but the Tekonsha P2 and P3 controllers use this harness in a 2014 RAM.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-3023-P.html?hhyear=2014&hhmake=Ram&hhmodel=1500

OP
OP
K

kentm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
As embarrassed as I am to admit this, in the heat of troubleshooting after the brake light switch was replaced, I forgot to hook the trailer back up to the truck. My wife suggested hooking the trailer up and trying again. So after replacing the brake light switch AND hooking the trailer up to the seven pin connector the brakes are working as expected.

Thank you for your time and suggestions,
Kent

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
"Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are!"