Brake Locked - Service EBS and Service ABS lights on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jocbro343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drive a 2017 RAM 1500

I was driving down the road and my front left brake randomly started locking up and caused the truck to slow down & the truck was shifting to the left. My service ABS/EBS came on and it said that 4WD was disabled.

I drove it to the nearest gas station and when I got out there was smoke coming from the brake. I poured water on it and got back in to try and drive it home but the brake is completely locked and will not move.

I changed out the brake pads and calipers but it didn’t do anything. It’s just the front left tire and nothing I do will unlock the brake and allow me to drive it. I’ve tried pulling on the brake pedal, unplugging the battery to reset it, changed the brake fluid, checked the brake lines.

Any ideas of what might be the cause?

I already checked all of the fuses and they were fine.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well the abs light ect probably came on because you melted the speed sensor usually happens when a caliper sticks/things get hot. As for why its locked did you use brand new calipers and brackets or used? make sure the slide pins are not seized. Other things that can cause sticky calipers are a bad rubber brake line and a failed master cylinder not as common but have seen it happen.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you open the bleeder screw, can the piston/s be pushed in?

Are the piston's seized, or it it hydraulic pressure that won't relieve?

OP
OP
J

Jocbro343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well the abs light ect probably came on because you melted the speed sensor usually happens when a caliper sticks/things get hot. As for why its locked did you use brand new calipers and brackets or used? make sure the slide pins are not seized. Other things that can cause sticky calipers are a bad rubber brake line and a failed master cylinder.

Yes I used brand new brakes and calipers. The brake line appeared to be fine

OP
OP
J

Jocbro343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could be a collapsed brake hose which acts like a one-way valve, or ....faulty ABS unit. You wouldn't be the only owner with a faulty ABS unit.
I’m not sure what to do - I’d hate to spend a ton of money trying to trouble shoot every thing it could be

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m not sure what to do - I’d hate to spend a ton of money trying to trouble shoot every thing it could be
Take it to a local shop they should be able to diag it quickly the system on these trucks are fairly striaght foward.

OP
OP
J

Jocbro343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take it to a local shop they should be able to diag it quickly the system on these trucks are fairly striaght foward.
Okay. Update: I completely disconnected the brake and it still would roll. Maybe a wheel barring?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Okay. Update: I completely disconnected the brake and it still would roll. Maybe a wheel barring?
This is confusing: do you mean would NOT roll?

Clarify what you mean by “disconnected the brake”. Do you mean disconnected the hose (which end?) or removed the caliper entirely?

If you removed the caliper and it won’t spin, it’s the bearing most likely. Is it 4x4?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Jack the wheel up so it's off the ground. And (hands 6 & 12 O'Clock positions on the tire) rock the tire/wheel up and down with vigor. If there's play at all, then it's the wheel bearing. If it's tight too...yeah that could be pre-failure. A good wheel bearing has zero free-play in it.

OP
OP
J

Jocbro343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is confusing: do you mean would NOT roll?

Clarify what you mean by “disconnected the brake”. Do you mean disconnected the hose (which end?) or removed the caliper entirely?

If you removed the caliper and it won’t spin, it’s the bearing most likely. Is it 4x4?
It couldn’t roll. If I reverse it or drive forward the left wheel will do a quarter rotation at best and stop. I disconnected all tubes/cables going to the brake

It is a 4x4

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jocbro343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did that. No movement in the wheel
Jack the wheel up so it's off the ground. And (hands 6 & 12 O'Clock positions on the tire) rock the tire/wheel up and down with vigor. If there's play at all, then it's the wheel bearing. If it's tight too...yeah that could be pre-failure. A good wheel bearing has zero free-play in it.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like your going to have to tear it all down remove the caliper the rotor see if you can get it to spin if not go further rip the hub off see if its locked up.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, let's review. Make any corrections to my assumptions:

1) You tried new calipers AND pads ..no change (still stiff)
2) You unhooked the caliper (??) and pads (??) on the 'bad' side and it's still stiff (not rolling well)
3) You raised the tire off the ground, wiggled the affected wheel (No caliper on it?), no play, but still won't rotate?
4) You're sure the calipers and pads aren't sticking (??)

At this point I would probably put the front of the vehicle safely up on jackstands, remove both front calipers and pads. You can just set them aside..con't need to remove from the brake system. Disconnect the front driveshaft at the front differential (set the loose end on a bucket (but tape up the u-joint so the caps don't fall off)). Then rotate the wheel/hubs. See what happens. Rotate the differential pinion by hand, feel for any roughness. If you need to, put the wheel back on the 'bad' side and rotate by hand.

It's got to be either brake, bearing/hub ...or front differential. What might have happened is, it originally WAS a sticking caliper but the heat 'cooked' the bearing. Made it stiff. And now the bearing needs replacing. That's what I think might have happened. But check everything out.

If it is, don't go with an el-cheapo bearing/hub... Changing can be a real bear. That's a job for your shop if you go to a shop. But there are a bunch of videos how to do.

Last edited:

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the wheel bearing is good. Jeepwalker right. Bad hose or abs

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am late to the party, but reading all this is making wonder.
where the brakes changed before or after it locked up.
Did you have it towed home and that is where it is?
You just need to open a bleeder to take pressure off the brake line.
jack it up and see if you can turn the wheel tire at all.
run a feeler gauge under the pads if they are still on, No ?
pull the pads and see if you can turn the hub, use a long bar on the wheel bolts
if still sized, wheel bearing next thing .

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great. Thanks for the follow-up. Might help out another owner sometime :waytogo:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: it was the bearing. I’ve never seen one so messed up. I’m back on the road. Thanks for the help
I had a similar problem on my last truck.....not a Ram but same basic setup. The left front wheel bearing suddenly started locking up for a split second with a huge clunk. I'm sure if I would have kept driving it the bearing would have completely seized.