Bricked Diablosport Unlocked PCM - HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SixFOURhemiHD

Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L 392 Hemi
Ok so I did a dumb thing. I was switching over from Diablosport to HPtuner. I bought a used 2016 PCM off eBay. Set my Diablosport PCM back to stock with my i3. Read the tune with the HPtuner MPVI3, then put my tune back in. I am MDS delete so I have to run the tune to turn it off and not get CEL. Also running the MMX no tune required cam with my MDS delete. Plan was to get a Flyin Ryan tune. So, on to the dumb thing I did. I was flashing the Diablosport back to stock, and thought, while that flashes I’ll unbolt the PCM so I can swap it once it’s done. Well, I couldn’t get the wrench on the lower bolt and without thinking disconnected the one connector on the PCM while it was returning to stock. Soon as I did it I realized it but it was too late. i3 said it had restored the backup, but when I turned key to start truck nothing happens. So, I obviously bricked it. That being said, what are my options with it? Can I unbrick it? Take it to dealer to reflash stock then retune with my i3? I installed the HPtuner one and it takes a while to start, barely runs, idles rough, and throws tons of codes I assume because I don’t have a tune for it and the non MDS cam is an issue. I have talked to Flyin Ryan about getting a tune but I’m without a truck at the moment. I’m hoping they can get me a tune to get me up and running, but I’m concerned it’s going to need to be custom tuned. FRP informed me the cam I got really doesn’t work as well with stock PCM as advertised and I would need probably need custom tuning. I tried to read the Diablosport tune with the HPtuner, hoping I could load that after the PCM swap but it didn’t work, still runs rough. I get all kinds of cam codes, misfire codes, throttle position codes, and takes forever to turn over, plus it smells like gas.

So, I’m an idiot and created this problem because I couldn’t leave well enough alone, but any help would be appreciated….

Last edited:
OP
OP
SixFOURhemiHD

SixFOURhemiHD

Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L 392 Hemi
Called Diablosport support and they said I have to send PCM in for recovery. Sent me an overnight label. Said it might be dead but they think they can restore it. Said I’ll have it back Thursday assuming it’s fixable.

Things I learned. 1) Don’t be stupid and disconnect your PCM while your tuner is programming it. 2) Diablosport customer service is top notch.

OP
OP
SixFOURhemiHD

SixFOURhemiHD

Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L 392 Hemi
If you are too young to know, a screwdriver and an exhaust gas chromograph were much simpler.
I’m too young (35) but I know what you’re talking about. All this computer stuff is a headache.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I’m too young (35) but I know what you’re talking about. All this computer stuff is a headache.

I led the technical project team for the first full authority electronic diesel in Cummins generators - the QSK60, rated 2,922 hp @ 1,800 rpm.

We put a secondary, current production safety controller on it in parallel, because we didn't trust the coder bro's with their new toy and no sense of reality.

It served us well when something they did in their coding caused the engine to runaway, and our safety controller scrammed it. Our safety response threshold didn't save the experimental 4 engine turbos, nor the alternator rotor, but nobody got killed and the test cell didn't burn to the ground.

Ramv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 BGE
DiabloSport were very helpful on mine as well. For some reason the tuner and the PCM didn't want to play nice and they spent several hours on the phone with me sending updates and waiting until the tune was installed and everything worked. Not like must outsourced customer service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357