Unlocked PCM question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
A quick question about the unlocked PCM swap through Hemifever. Would I be able to purchase a used PCM off of eBay as long as it is the same year and model? I own a 16 Ram 1500 Laramie 2wd with 3.92 gears and an 8spd tranny. If I purchase the PCM used by eBay, how would I test that it works properly? Also, could I send the used PCM for the swap through Hemifever? I think it would be reassuring to have a working stock PCM in the garage in case anything gets corrupted or bricked. For anyone who shelled out the extra money to just buy the unlocked PCM outright, was it worth it for the peace of mind?

Another question, if I do the PCM swap instead for the unlocked one and since I do not have any warranty left on the vehicle, do I have to put it back on the stock tune before bringing in the vehicle to a shop if work needs to be done, or is it just set and forget?

I tried searching Google and the forum but all the posts talk about buying the new PCM without swapping or just talking about how easy the swap was. Thanks in advance for any help. I had a recent post about doing exhaust first but maybe doing a custom tune first then exhaust or even just doing a cheap mid-muffler delete alongside it so I can have the tune and aggressive sound.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Any used PCM would have to be wiped clean for Hemifever to use it, IIRC. Unless you have the software and skillsets to do that work, or to test it, I'd highly recommend leaving it to the experts. Hemifever might take a used PCM in trade.

I'd contact him directly with your questions. A 2015+ model year truck needs an unlocked PCM.

I've always tuned my trucks after I did the exhaust or intake modifications. Remember to list out what it is you want to do and what octane fuel you want to use.

For instance:

1. 89 octane fuel
2. Remove speed limiter
3. Turn off MDS
4. Set WOT shift points at xxxx RPM.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
A quick question about the unlocked PCM swap through Hemifever. Would I be able to purchase a used PCM off of eBay as long as it is the same year and model? I own a 16 Ram 1500 Laramie 2wd with 3.92 gears and an 8spd tranny. If I purchase the PCM used by eBay, how would I test that it works properly? Also, could I send the used PCM for the swap through Hemifever? I think it would be reassuring to have a working stock PCM in the garage in case anything gets corrupted or bricked. For anyone who shelled out the extra money to just buy the unlocked PCM outright, was it worth it for the peace of mind?

Another question, if I do the PCM swap instead for the unlocked one and since I do not have any warranty left on the vehicle, do I have to put it back on the stock tune before bringing in the vehicle to a shop if work needs to be done, or is it just set and forget?

I tried searching Google and the forum but all the posts talk about buying the new PCM without swapping or just talking about how easy the swap was. Thanks in advance for any help. I had a recent post about doing exhaust first but maybe doing a custom tune first then exhaust or even just doing a cheap mid-muffler delete alongside it so I can have the tune and aggressive sound.
If it's going in for something that the dealer might need to flash an update on,you'll want to either swap your stock PCM back in,or revert the truck back to the stock tune,if you don't have the original PCM to reinstall.If it's just going in for something minor that they won't be hooking up to the computor,like an oil change ,you shouldn't have to worry,but if they have to hook up and reflash the truck,you'll definitely want the custom tune out and the stock tune back in.
Get the numbers off the back of your original PCM,and use them for shopping for a used PCM if that's the way you decide to go.Have you checked with your local dealer,i bought a brand new PCM from the dealer for my wifes 2019 Challenger,and it wasn't that bad,if i remember right it was around the $600 Canuck mark for a brand new one,that was vin specific to the car,but that was just before Covid hit,so i'm not sure how much they've gone up since then.I sent the new one in to HP for unlocking,but if i was doing it again,i'd send it to Rick Tapp instead

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
@MADDOG Yeah I think I am wanting to go the custom tune route first just before the mods. I did send HF a email through the website but it has been 3 days or so and no response so probably busy. Ill have to check around what fuel octane is most abundant near me, I believe we don't have 91 and only 89 and 93. The way I was thinking of doing it is getting a used pcm off ebay and then doing the swap deal but send the one I bought and keep the stock one for safe keeping.

@Wild one Thanks for the info! Yeah most stuff i try to do at my house like suspension and maintenance parts. So most shop visits are for the deals they give on oil change, which might just start doing that at home with full synthetic now that ill be out of college with more time on my hands. Ill call to ask thats not a bad idea. Worst case if I just do the swap with my stock one I will just reflash to stock for dealer visits that are major and if it bricks or corrupts than I know worst case cost of a brand new stock one. Ill check out Rick Tapp again but the website I didnt really see an unlocking service. The reason I like the platinum i3 tune + swap is that I won't be out of a pcm for however long it takes to send to HP ect. But I would not mind sending it over if I bought a used/new one just not sure how I would test a used pcm since it is vin locked

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
@MADDOG Yeah I think I am wanting to go the custom tune route first just before the mods. I did send HF a email through the website but it has been 3 days or so and no response so probably busy. Ill have to check around what fuel octane is most abundant near me, I believe we don't have 91 and only 89 and 93. The way I was thinking of doing it is getting a used pcm off ebay and then doing the swap deal but send the one I bought and keep the stock one for safe keeping.

@Wild one Thanks for the info! Yeah most stuff i try to do at my house like suspension and maintenance parts. So most shop visits are for the deals they give on oil change, which might just start doing that at home with full synthetic now that ill be out of college with more time on my hands. Ill call to ask thats not a bad idea. Worst case if I just do the swap with my stock one I will just reflash to stock for dealer visits that are major and if it bricks or corrupts than I know worst case cost of a brand new stock one. Ill check out Rick Tapp again but the website I didnt really see an unlocking service. The reason I like the platinum i3 tune + swap is that I won't be out of a pcm for however long it takes to send to HP ect. But I would not mind sending it over if I bought a used/new one just not sure how I would test a used pcm since it is vin locked
Your best bet is to phone Rick,his number is listed on his facebook page.You usually get a better response by phoning most outfits.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just remember that a custom tune is built with your stock tune + logs you generate by driving your truck through some different conditions, such as WOT, steady cruise, stop & go traffic, etc... and without your planned mods on the truck you may need to update that tune after you add some mods, such as a CAI, freer flowing exhaust, headers, etc...

I ran an 89 tune on my 2007 5.7L MegaCab and it worked well. At the time I picked it 89 was at least 6 cents cheaper per gallon than 91.

You can keep your stock PCM for those dealer visits which is a good plan. Ask HF about swapping in a used one you might purchase. I would think he would accept that as long as it tests good. He is a busy guy so you may be waiting for a bit longer than two days. But he does good work and his tunes are well worth the time it takes to get them done.

You may get more than one tune to test and log. He will send you a tune and have you load it on your truck. Then you will test and log the performance, then email him the logs. He will tweak the tune and send you a new one. When he built the tune for my 6.4L 2500 he built a tune, I logged and he sent me another. We did that one more time with a few more tweaks made to the second tune.

Good luck with the mods.

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah I think I want my stock pcm just in case. I trust diablo enough that there wont be any issue with the unlocked but who knows. Ill wait for HF response and also reach out to Rick in the meantime. If I cant swap with a cheaper pcm then I will just hold off and do the other bolt ons while I save on the side. Either route will be happy, all my previous vehicles were 2000 civic si ect so already think it feels it pulls good.

minidog2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I think I want my stock pcm just in case. I trust diablo enough that there wont be any issue with the unlocked but who knows. Ill wait for HF response and also reach out to Rick in the meantime. If I cant swap with a cheaper pcm then I will just hold off and do the other bolt ons while I save on the side. Either route will be happy, all my previous vehicles were 2000 civic si ect so already think it feels it pulls good.
Any progress with this? I am thinking of doing the same thing. I have seen a lot of people use Ebay pcm's but im also curious as to what numbers need to line up with your current one.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any progress with this? I am thinking of doing the same thing. I have seen a lot of people use Ebay pcm's but im also curious as to what numbers need to line up with your current one.
Am I missing something? The reason to unlock the PCM is because you want to "tune" the truck. If you do a MDS delete and modify the "second" PCM to run the delete tune and you want to bring the truck into the dealership for some kind of work and put the original "stock" PCM back into the truck, I would think that the MDS deleted truck wouldn't run with the stock tune. This would make keeping the original PCM useless.

minidog2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Am I missing something? The reason to unlock the PCM is because you want to "tune" the truck. If you do a MDS delete and modify the "second" PCM to run the delete tune and you want to bring the truck into the dealership for some kind of work and put the original "stock" PCM back into the truck, I would think that the MDS deleted truck wouldn't run with the stock tune. This would make keeping the original PCM useless.
Its more for just tuning aspect, atleast thats the case for me. They would 100% know if you did an MDS delete but if you were only did tuning and not an MDS delete, its easy enough to swap to original and tune back to stock.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its more for just tuning aspect, atleast thats the case for me. They would 100% know if you did an MDS delete but if you were only did tuning and not an MDS delete, its easy enough to swap to original and tune back to stock.
got it, thanks

Damiensram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FWIW , I got the unlocked one from Summit here locally with the Diablo swap and just kept my stock one. Never hurts to have a backup to be able to unlock should the one I got from Diablo fail for some reason. Yes, it is understood that it won't do didly in my truck unless its unlocked and tuned since I am cammed etc.