Broken Fender Bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

si1verbu11et83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All,

So I've been grinding, sanding down and painting the fenders on my '05 1500, trying to keep the rust to a minimum and keep it looking decent for a few more years. I started doing the front driver side by the door and broke the head off the bolt that attaches the fender to the underside of cab corner/rocker panel. The same bolt on the passenger side came out no problem. I tried using a screw extractor to turn the bolt out and I ended up spinning this metal grommet (or rivet, I duno what it is) that holds the nut for the screw that goes into the hole. see pics below I tried prying it out without much luck.

Just wondering if:
1. anyone knows how to get this thing out?
2. is this a replaceable part from Dodge? and if I can even get a new one mounted inside?
3. anyone has any other ideas how to fix this?

I would like to avoid drilling a new hole through the fender and rocker but I will if I have to.

20200827_134002-jpg.jpg

20200827_133808-jpg.jpg

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you grind it flat so you can get the fender off, thats a assembly nut thats what I call it.
and yes you can get a new one from Fastenal or McMaster Carr or the Help items at local auto parts.

OP
OP
S

si1verbu11et83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can get the fender off no problem, just need this nut fixed so that I can get it reattached after painting. I will try grinding the bottom lip of the nut off. It may get left inside the body panel. I will give Fastenal a call and see if they can help me.
Thanks for the advice.