Buffer Burn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Anyone have experience with this? I picked up my 1500 last December. When they brought it out, there was some residue on the bed that looked like wax that they missed, so they ran it back up to get cleaned up better.

When my truck is in the sunlight just right, I see these "hologram" like swirls on the truck. At first I ignored it thinking my eyes were playing tricks on me or just the way the light hit the max steel paint. With these summer days, I really see it now and it bothers me. It's definitely a defect, because it is only on the bed (both sides) and not the cab.

I just emailed the dealer to see if they're willing to do anything about it. I've never ran into this. Is this a hard problem to fix (ie repaint) or just putting a buffer in the right hands to clean it up? (I'm also hesitant to go back to the dealer if they did this in the first place)

Its hard to see in the image but there are swirl marks going back and forth. Most noticeable by the tail light.

2015-07-20%2018.58.11.jpg

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes buffer trails can be fixed by somebody that knows what they are doing. See if the dealer will work with you and pay to have the truck professionally detailed (not by them) obviously.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
DON'T TAKE IT BACK TO THE DEALER------make sure whoever "fixes" your paint, that they "correct" the scratches and swirls and not just fill them. Some waxes will only fill them and they will come back after you wash your truck a couple of times. Your truck will probably have to be polished to remove the scratches and swirls. Then seal and wax.
Jay

OP
OP
jsteinm1

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
They asked me to bring it in. Do dealers have detail shops that are worth using? This is one of the biggest dealers that I'm using. I can see what they think about taking it somewhere else, but I can understand that they may want to see it themselves

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I accidentally put stupid holograms in my black paint right before my winter waxing. You could only see it in the sun at certain angles. Believe it or not, I created them while polishing by hand. About two weeks ago I took my dual action (DA) buffer and Meguiar's M205 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish and removed them completely. Whoever did that to your truck did not know how to use a rotary buffer which is VERY dangerous.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah that's noticeable as hell. I bet they just had some yokel who washes the vehicles take a buffer to it and call it good.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My question would be, if they screwed it up in the first place why would you trust them to do it right the second time. I'd let them look at it, but i'd take it somewhere else to get it corrected. Usually in most dealerships the "new" guys get assigned to the wash rack, and they do all the new car get ready and "detail" work. Usually they have no training and have limited equipment and some think that steel wool and microfiber are the same thing(tacky comment). I also bet they use the cheapest products you can find instead of good well respected products. Good detailers are professional and they have usually gone through some kind of training and it is how they make there living everyday. They should give you some customer names and/or have examples of their work that you can look at. Let the dealership pay for the detail, but have it done by a professional shop.
Jay

OP
OP
jsteinm1

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Good to hear it sounds like it's fixable without having to go though a full respray. I do have a DA buffer but I don't have the experience for dealing with this. I picked my truck up on a Saturday morning so I'm guessing that when the truck came back in for the reside someone went to town with a rotary to 'clean it up'

I'll take it back to have them look at it but let them know I'm not comfortable with them performing the work. Thanks guys for all the opinions and I'll let you know the resolution.

OP
OP
jsteinm1

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Yeah that's noticeable as hell. I bet they just had some yokel who washes the vehicles take a buffer to it and call it good.

You know the sad part is the amount of wax residue I saw would have wiped off quickly with a microfiber, no need to even drag out the buffer. I wanted to see it come off so I knew the paint was in good shape, then this happens.

OP
OP
jsteinm1

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Just a quick update, The dealer I use is Woodhouse in Blair. They have their own body shop so they are wanting to do the work in house- which I can respect. I'm going to take it to a shop locally here first to see what the estimate is. With Blair being 60miles away from me, if it's not terrible I may end up eating a chunk of the cost in gas anyway (not to mention nearly impossible for me to get up there during their hours of operation).

Last edited:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A GOOD detailer can take them out.... there is also some hand rubbing compounds made by 3M that remove swirl marks. I resurrected a 67 chevelles paint for a fathers day gift for my brother. the car bought sat out in a open airplane hanger for 10+ years.. the oxidation was bad.. no mater what I did I would get burn/swirl matks... found this stuff and worked magic...

I'll have to find some pics... and the 3M product name.