Building a 2WD off-road rig..recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You either full send in our group or you never ride again with us. :cool:

We dont care what you bring, We just ask that your are a little mentally unstable :Big Laugh:
I used to try to live up to my last name in my younger days,but it damn near killed me,i'm not sure i'm that energetic anymore, :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hear ya. Even since I hit 40 a few years ago I can definitely fell it. But since im a retard , Ill pretend im 16 for the rest of my life, being in the military for 21.5y didnt help my brain develop either.... lol..

My wife has been trying to fix me for the last 23y and she's failed horribly.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some of the comments are pretty funny in this. I think some of y'all go down a wet gravel road and call it off roading. :signs16:

As to what the OP is after, in a crawler type rig I'd HIGHLY suggest a 4wd to start off with. I was taught at the early years of wheeling that I use 2wd as far as I feel I can, then use 4wd to get me thru the bad spots. Because when you get stuck in 2wd you can click 4wd and (USUALLY) drive out with mild skill. Instead of driving in 4wd until you're stuck then you're just stuck. That being said I've taken 2wd vehicles places a lot of people wouldn't take a 4wd. But also in case like DILLIGAF posted, I used 4wd as soon as I'm in the truck because I know it'll be needed.

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Its like taking a knife to a gun fight. The best advice I can give you is trade it for a 4wd vehicle with positraction or lockers.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Most people use the term "off roading" very loosely. What they mean is off the pavement. "Four wheeling" is a strange concept to me.

I have spent a lifetime working in trucks on bad roads, mine sites and remote pieces of country for a living. Four wheel drive is required most of the time, so when you hit a bad spot getting unstuck is often required. How far are you going to get in a two wheel drive vehicle?