Busted shifter? (NV3500)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got the email telling me my new shifter has shipped. Hope it is the right one.

No luck finding a local source for the missing bolt. Hate to have to buy a whole bag just to get one bolt, but looks like I'll have to. The upside is then I'll have 99 spares just in case.

OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fastenal, a company that specializes in industrial supply, can't even order the correct bolt. But Home Depot, a generic hardware store, has it in stock. Well, they had the right size, but it's the wrong grade. And it doesn't have the oxide finish. Still, should be good enough for now. Now that I know what to look for I can order the right one.

UPS says the shifter was delivered at 11 this morning. Guess I'll find out when I get home if I got what I needed.

OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, shifter is here. Looks identical to the old one. Well, the housing does. The shaft the shift lever attaches to has a different bend to it. I still haven't gotten the shift lever off the old housing, so I don't know yet if it will fit the new one. Worst case scenario, I need a new lever to go with the new shifter. Actually, I guess the worst case is that the new shifter puts the lever in a bad spot and makes it hard to reach all the gears. Can't worry too much about that right now. Anything is better than no shifter.

OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New shifter is in, truck is operational. But I still have to do some work to get it back to 100%.

Here's the breakdown of the problem;

My local Dodge dealer told me I needed part # 4886199AB to replace my shift tower.

Allstate Gear advertised their shifter # NV26375 as a direct replacement for Mopar 4886199AB. However, they also say it's only for '94-'02. So I don't know if the dealer got the wrong part number or if Allstate is wrong about it being a direct replacement.

The shifter bolts in perfectly, the shift lever screws on perfectly, it shifts gears perfectly. But it is definitely not the exact part for an '04. The stub shaft on the factory shifter comes up, then bends straight towards the rear of the truck. The stub shaft on the Allstate shifter bends towards the front a bit then bends back to the rear, forming a bit of an offset. This moves the lever an inch or so forward. It's not a huge problem, it still clears the lower dash, just barely.

The catch is that I can't get the inner boot back on right now. I can't get the shift knob off to slide the boot over the lever. If I put the boot on the bottom of the lever before attaching the lever I don't have room to spin the lever to screw it on because the boot hits the dash. And I don't really want to install the shifter with the lever and everything already attached because that would be a pain. So I may just remove the lower dash, if I can, to install the boot.

The short story is that Allstate Gear part number NV26375 will work in an '04 if you need a new shifter. It just won't be exactly the same as the factory shifter. That may or may not be a problem for you.