Buying another Ram - Opinions on this deal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With all the research I have done, this truck seems like a good deal. Pulled the build sheet, but did not pull Carfax. Per the current owner, there were 3 owners, no title or accident issues. Looking to see what everyone thinks.

2012 Ram 1500 Regular Cab ST Pickup 2D 6 1/3 ft (Black)
5.7 Hemi 2WD
116,000 miles
Price: $10K

Private Party KBB Very Good $10,025 - $12,088
Private Party KBB Excellent $10,578 - $12,666
Owner rates it between good and excellent

Mods:

-American Racing Catless Tubes
-Magnaflow 18" muffler/ y Pipe / 5" dual tips
-Trinity T1000 w/ Jay Greene
-Eddie Perfomance 3400 tork stall converter + the stock to swap if wanted
-Transmission + rear end - Came out of Matt at Moe's blue truck, Garry Williams valve body w/ stock clutch pad. @Hemi450hp
-Modern Muscle ported intake
-S&B CAI
-Fastman 82mm TB
-clutch fan delete
-170 thermostat tune
-ATI underdrive pulley

-Belltech 4/2 drop
-Hellwig sway bar + end links
-22" SRT wheels
-Drilled and slotted rotors + ceramic pads replaced t 103K miles. Likely EBS, he couldn't remember the brand

Last edited:

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
With all those mods listed I’d snatch it up. Hell you could part it out and make your money back

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just my 2c (if it was me looking at this)

So you would be the 4th (or 5th?) owner on a 2012. That seems excessive?
It's priced below KBB with all that money thrown into it? That makes me go hum?... (Most guys want to ask double for all the stuff)

My rule of thumb is never buy a modded truck. You have no idea how it was treated, did the guy doing the mods have a clue at what he was doing? Lot's of "what if's" there.

You asked for opinions so there you go...

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
um unless your buying it with a warranty then ummmm no

lookat the mods, do you keep doing performance mods to your baby

and baby the throttle?????

might want to ask him how many tires its eaten up

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for input thus far. I would be the 4th owner. He has had it since 43k, owned it for 4 years. I'm inclined to believe he baby's the truck, not to say he hasn't taken it to the strip to race it.

Reason for sale: he is having a baby and needs a bigger truck.

This will be a daily driver as my lifted Ram is killing me in maintenance costs and I would prefer it be my weekend truck. I don't plan on racing this truck, will drive it like an old lady as much as it will allow me to. I modify all my vehicles, so the beauty here is I don't have to dump money into it. That sold my wife on the deal at least!

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When/If you take it for a test drive at least drive it far enough for any hidden problems to maybe show up. I've seen people reset CEL's in the dealer parking lot right before trading in a vehicle in hopes that the dealer will only take it for a quick test drive or without one at all. If you can get away with 5 miles or so that ought to do it. A lot of problems aren't going to show up after a quick run around the block.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When/If you take it for a test drive at least drive it far enough for any hidden problems to maybe show up. I've seen people reset CEL's in the dealer parking lot right before trading in a vehicle in hopes that the dealer will only take it for a quick test drive or without one at all. If you can get away with 5 miles or so that ought to do it. A lot of problems aren't going to show up after a quick run around the block.

Yep, agree. I have learned a lot about Rams in the last few years, so it is good to know I have a good idea of what to feel, listen and look out for!

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Part of me says walk away at seeing those mods, but the other side looks at it logically, thats a ton of money in those mods....****birds usually dont spend the time researching much less installing them or even knowing what the hell they paid to have done to their truck.
1. From the outside, does it look like it has been washed and waxed frequently with love and care?
2. Does it have quality tires...that match?
3. If it grenaded the drvetrain in 2 months, would it hurt you badly, financially?

My 2cents...but it sounds like a fun truck!

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Part of me says walk away at seeing those mods, but the other side looks at it logically, thats a ton of money in those mods....****birds usually dont spend the time researching much less installing them or even knowing what the hell they paid to have done to their truck.
1. From the outside, does it look like it has been washed and waxed frequently with love and care?
2. Does it have quality tires...that match?
3. If it grenaded the drvetrain in 2 months, would it hurt you badly, financially?

My 2cents...but it sounds like a fun truck!

I hear yah. Haven't seen it in person, he lives 140 miles away. He is part of one of the state truck clubs out here. I'm am part of it and another localized Mopar club and most of us actually care about our trucks and take good care of them.

He wasn't done building it, had more plans, but newborn baby's need back seats, so he has to get rid of it.

If me or someone else don't get it he is stripping to stock and guys are lining up on the club page for the mods already.

Truck is as immaculate as could be for the year, according to him, no dents/scratches and he keeps it clean. Pics look good. Worst case, I do a 4 hour round trip and don't come home with a truck.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've done suspension mods similar to the truck you're looking at, intake, exhaust, wheels. May do shorties if I get an exhaust leak, but I don't beat my truck, I drive it like I want it to last. Going off mileage it looks like it was probably a daily driver.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done suspension mods similar to the truck you're looking at, intake, exhaust, wheels. May do shorties if I get an exhaust leak, but I don't beat my truck, I drive it like I want it to last. Going off mileage it looks like it was probably a daily driver.

Yes it was a daily driver and mostly highway per the owner. Everything is looking good, we'll see when I actually get to look and test drive it myself.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where are the pics of this truck! To me, it doesnt sound like a bad deal..10k for a second vehicle that has a lot of work done and is modded to be enjoyed. Realistically 10k isnt much of an investment and as said you could probably get rid of it for about as much if you end up not wanting it. My advice would be buy it, if it is as well maintained and all the work was done professionally or with a good amount of knowledge, you should be ok! Just my advice though, I dont want to pay for your tow bill if it goes south :p

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think that's the right decision. And it's a truck you can play with when you feel like it. The build & mod info looks legit with some good choices made there.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think that's the right decision. And it's a truck you can play with when you feel like it. The build & mod info looks legit with some good choices made there.

Thanks and I agree. Hard to pass up. Definitely legit, this was his baby! Now my 2014 can get a rest. Maintenance on a lifted/modded daily driver is rediculous.

That Audi I bought last year for a daily driver and totalled the day after worked out. I'm going to enjoy this much more. Can't believe I'm going to have two badass blacked out Rams from the opposite side of the spectrum!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca