cam change-engine wont run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
He has returned!!!!! Thank you Greg for swinging by. If the op wants to attempt his current cam he can with the info you supplied. Take a peak at his cam spec, it seems like an ok cam but maybe just not for his needs.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Ken, IMO the cam is really (LSA) tight for a 03 model, but since it is install why not try to make it work? And if it doesn't then we know the PSC1 or Cam Tuner used with a SC will work on a cam that is better suited. The 03 as everyone mostly agrees likes 114+ LSA. I have a cam with 112 LSA and no issues running this setup. Good luck..

OP
OP
B

blazintowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank You, Thank you, Thank You...Pricless information. Cant thank you guys enough! I will see if I can pick up the equipment you mentioned and try your suggestions. So if it still wont work I will be able to use the tuners on a new set up as well right? One more question, if i decide to go with the comp cam 260- it states it has a 113 LSA, will this be OK? Will i hAVE A Better chance of tuning with this cam? I kind of like the higher lift with this cam over the one i have installed too.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Greg Thanks for elaborating on the basics about 03 Tuning (My Head Hurts but well explained to a Grade Niner like me).

OP, IMO you need to pick the Tuner Route first then mate that with Cam wishes.

If you Pic the DSP Route a Cam that Pulls hard Past 5850 will be a big waste.

Superchips and a 114 Lsa Cam. If you go Comp 260 and the Idle stumbles (rare but seen) you can tweak it with the PSC1-003 and or Pwr Steering Mod. I beleive the 260's pull Range "now don't quote me here Guys" is 1500 to 5500 so if you must use a DSP then it would work in that 5850 Max RPM Range.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Thank You, Thank you, Thank You...Pricless information. Cant thank you guys enough! I will see if I can pick up the equipment you mentioned and try your suggestions. So if it still wont work I will be able to use the tuners on a new set up as well right? One more question, if i decide to go with the comp cam 260- it states it has a 113 LSA, will this be OK? Will i hAVE A Better chance of tuning with this cam? I kind of like the higher lift with this cam over the one i have installed too.

I would watch the classifieds, there are SC3815 tuners available for the $125-$150 range all the time. As for the Split Second "Cam Tuner" you can check out the link I posted. I prefer the PSC1-003 but think the Cam Tuner might at least let you know if you are on the right track to clean up the idle. You could ask Danny if he will let go of his spare PSC1.. And there are other solutions available if you research a little. Idle is an issue with the 03. There are two ways I know of and if anyone has anymore solutions pls post up. But B&G Performance says they can raise the idle, rpm/speed limiter and custom tune your PCM. I am told they charge for every follow-up change and that can be expensive. Or the high idle mod I did. This requires a 12vdc relay and a rpm window switch. I choose a Granatelli Dual window Switch as it has two window settings, tach output, throttle setting output. I set the window switch for 1100 rpm to close. Below 1100 rpm the switch is open which opens the 12vdc relay that is connected to the PWR steering pressure sensor. This signals the PCM the pump is under high pressure and raises the idle. When the rpm raises above the 1100 threshold then it closes the sensor connection and all appears normal to the PCM. Simple stuff but helps a lot with a quality idle.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
^I will say I was shocked at how smooth your setup was being in it.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
^I will say I was shocked at how smooth your setup was being in it.

Lol Ken I told you the old girl was unimpressive mostly because she runs so smooth. Although. I've now developed a tail housing /front yoke wobble no doubt from stressing her a little. I blamed my tire shop because all the wheel swapping I was doing. Gave them a bottle of Fire Ball to help get over me being a PIA. I've got a work trip starting Sunday so when I get back I'll have the tailhousing repair to do.

Back to the OP, don't forget to have a wideband on your list of parts.

HemiSwapped06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would watch the classifieds, there are SC3815 tuners available for the $125-$150 range all the time. As for the Split Second "Cam Tuner" you can check out the link I posted. I prefer the PSC1-003 but think the Cam Tuner might at least let you know if you are on the right track to clean up the idle. You could ask Danny if he will let go of his spare PSC1.. And there are other solutions available if you research a little. Idle is an issue with the 03. There are two ways I know of and if anyone has anymore solutions pls post up. But B&G Performance says they can raise the idle, rpm/speed limiter and custom tune your PCM. I am told they charge for every follow-up change and that can be expensive. Or the high idle mod I did. This requires a 12vdc relay and a rpm window switch. I choose a Granatelli Dual window Switch as it has two window settings, tach output, throttle setting output. I set the window switch for 1100 rpm to close. Below 1100 rpm the switch is open which opens the 12vdc relay that is connected to the PWR steering pressure sensor. This signals the PCM the pump is under high pressure and raises the idle. When the rpm raises above the 1100 threshold then it closes the sensor connection and all appears normal to the PCM. Simple stuff but helps a lot with a quality idle.

I have been meaning to mess with this for my 03 Dakota except even at 500 rpm in Drive it idles fairly decently with the Superchips 91 tune and PSC-1. My little 4.7 has a big cam on a narrower LSA for a can tune with map adjuster. It is 218/224 @ .050, .502/.520, 112 LSA, 108 ICL. I have even started it up with the power steering pressure switch connector removed and let it learn on stock tune without superchips or PSC-1 and it still learns how to idle fine.

That being said I had an issue when I cammed my Ram with the 5.7. I had an intake pushrod fall off and it would not idle at all. As soon as I figured out the problem and put the pushrod back in place it started running and idling fine.

OP
OP
B

blazintowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
"Simple stuff but helps a lot with a quality idle".[/QUOTE]

Simple Stuff??? LOL Damn, you must be some kind of Genious. That is really some great information...Iv'e gone back over and over all the tremendous amounts of knowledge and information given on here. like mentioned before by 03moparamman some of it makes my head hurt! Thanks again to everyone taking the time to read and respond. i will keep updated as progress comes. right know I still need to save and shop...i will soon start tear down and investigate top end for springs and any misplaced rods!!!thnaks again. Keep on Ramming!

OP
OP
B

blazintowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok, just want to make sure i am correct before buying-
I need a SC3815. On top of that, I need either the Cam tuner or the PSC1-03. Then a A/F gauge, is this also the wideband?

Thanks Greg, Do you have any part #'s for the window switch and relay?

You guys Rock!

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Yes the Wideband O2 is the A/F gauge, don't get the narrow band O2 gauge. IMO I would get the SC3815 tuner and the Wideband O2 first before you start messing with any fuel trims.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like I said before you should be able to turn the rods where they sit with your fingers as you manually turn the engine by hand, providing your hands are not the size of a Toaster and you have an above average handgrip say like 84. Keep us posted.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Ok, just want to make sure i am correct before buying-
I need a SC3815. On top of that, I need either the Cam tuner or the PSC1-03. Then a A/F gauge, is this also the wideband?

Thanks Greg, Do you have any part #'s for the window switch and relay?

You guys Rock!

Check with Duane for the switch.
Granatelli Motorsports RPM Activated Dual Window Switch Granatelli Motorsports RPM Activated Dual Window Switch, Granatelli Motorsports GM-DWS10 [Granatelli Motorsports GM-DWS10] - $89.95 : 3rd Strike Performance!Your source for Late Model Muscle!, M

Here is a picture of the relays I used on wtr/**** setup, but they are the same as the one I used for the High Idle Mod. These can be bought at any auto parts store for around $10-$12 each. Good luck.

img20120418003141.jpg

OP
OP
B

blazintowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
finally got a chance to take pics of valve springs-so what do you think? stock?

Attachments

• valve spring 1.jpg
    valve spring 1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 34
  • valve spring 2.jpg
    valve spring 2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 31
  • valve spring 3.jpg
    valve spring 3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 28

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Those are 6.1 springs so your ok there. Next would be pushrods to check.

OP
OP
B

blazintowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks Ken. So what am I looking for when I pull the push rods? I plan on swapping the cam to the comp 260. thanks for your input, Todd.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Undo the valve train and mic the rods. I doubt they will still have the marking paint on those. Worst case you could get a set seeing they are fairly cheap.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 6.1's as we know are longer and I have a set downstairs new in the bag, I can measure one of each for you if you need or just look it up on some of the mopar sites as they usually list the lengths of both 5.7 and 6.1's. You just need to remove one rail so that ain't bad.