Cam/Lifter job cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gladrich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 2013 hemi has the hemi tick. Pretty sure it’s a lifter. I’ve read a lot of threads about this issue and it sounds like the cam will also need to be replaced. I don’t have the tools or knowledge to perform this work myself. Does anyone have an idea of what this might cost at a garage? Also what can I expect if I keep driving it the way it is?
Thanks

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2013 hemi has the hemi tick. Pretty sure it’s a lifter. I’ve read a lot of threads about this issue and it sounds like the cam will also need to be replaced. I don’t have the tools or knowledge to perform this work myself. Does anyone have an idea of what this might cost at a garage? Also what can I expect if I keep driving it the way it is?
Thanks

If you’re sure it’s lifters and not exhaust manifold bolts then you’ll want to get it repaired ASAP. If you catch the tick very early some people have reported saving the cam. Once the cam is scored it will need replacing. If you let it go the result will be needing a new engine. It will eventually not start or run. All the metal from the cam being ground down will make its way through the engine and not worth salvaging. Worst case the metal shavings clog the oil pump and the engine will starve for oil. Cost will depend on extent of damage. If caught early it’s cheaper as the cam may be saved and some people will elect to only have the offending lifter replaced instead of all of them. Will you have both banks replaced or just the offending side? Cost also depends on location. Having a shop do the repair you are looking at $5K or higher.

OP
OP
Gladrich

Gladrich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks allot for that. It has been driven about 8 miles with the tick. If I decide to fix it I’ll have it towed in. If the cam isn’t damaged I guess I should replace all the lifters.