Camera Compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ACB8

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 Big Horn w/ Cold Weather Package
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have this one plugged into the cargo camera input on the radio.

NATIKA Backup/Front View Camera,IP69K Waterproof Great Night Vision HD and Super Wide Angle Metal OEM Style Reverse Rear View Backup Camera for Cars Pickup Trucks SUVs RVs Vans (Black) https://a.co/d/hg2krs8
Where did you run your power for your front camera? Thanks again

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Sorry for the delay, the install video and description on the page make no mention of the other RCA, but I can clearly see it in the video. It looks like it has a label on it too. It "could" be the wiring for the cargo camera pins, but without seeing the label or the pins it connects to I can't be sure.

A quick test for you (if it's not labeled) would be to enable the cargo camera with AlfaOBD and then plug the RCA from your infotainment kit for the backup camera into that blue connector to see if it shows on the cargo camera input. This should work because unlike the factory camera this kit shows it's powering the camera with a keyed source (cigarette port/charger plug)

OP
OP
ACB8

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It looks like all the cameras I used in the past are listed as "CCD". Honestly haven't had a problem with cameras until this AHD one.
How did you power your front camera? Thanks!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
How did you power your front camera? Thanks!
All cameras are powered from the 12v keyed cigarette lighter port via a line tap for trigger to a relay with power supplied directly from the battery. The relay powers 2 cooling fans for the radio, 3 cameras and a digital TV tuner.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Sorry for the delay, the install video and description on the page make no mention of the other RCA, but I can clearly see it in the video. It looks like it has a label on it too. It "could" be the wiring for the cargo camera pins, but without seeing the label or the pins it connects to I can't be sure.

A quick test for you (if it's not labeled) would be to enable the cargo camera with AlfaOBD and then plug the RCA from your infotainment kit for the backup camera into that blue connector to see if it shows on the cargo camera input. This should work because unlike the factory camera this kit shows it's powering the camera with a keyed source (cigarette port/charger plug)
Thanks for taking the time to investigate this. I’ll give what you suggest a try. Also, if it does come up as a cargo camera, will an icon show up on my touchscreen (5”)? Thanks again for all your help.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for taking the time to investigate this. I’ll give what you suggest a try. Also, if it does come up as a cargo camera, will an icon show up on my touchscreen (5”)? Thanks again for all your help.
You'll first need to add the option to your BCM using AlfaOBD and if memory servers the button can only be added on 2016+ year radios. I'm not sure if the option is ever available on a 5" RA2 though. You'd likely need to upgrade the radio too.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I don’t think I want to replace the radio at this point. I was hoping for a quick and dirty solution. Maybe some sort of a switch? I’ll do a little more digging and let you know what I find.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don’t think I want to replace the radio at this point. I was hoping for a quick and dirty solution. Maybe some sort of a switch? I’ll do a little more digging and let you know what I find.
Ok, yeah...a switch can do it. Cheap easy and can happen without any further investigation. I use the 4 port version of this cheap unpowered switch on mine.

Here is a two port one

And here is what I use

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Thanks again. Another question. With the switch, I assume that both camera inputs are sent to the switch and you simply choose front or rear. Since my rear camera only activates when I shift into reverse, do I just set up the front camera to always be on and it only displays on the screen when I select it on the switch?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks again. Another question. With the switch, I assume that both camera inputs are sent to the switch and you simply choose front or rear. Since my rear camera only activates when I shift into reverse, do I just set up the front camera to always be on and it only displays on the screen when I select it on the switch?
Yes, technically both of your cameras will be "always on" (with keyed powered) because it is an aftermarket setup powered differently from the way the OEM get's power. If your RA2 5" screen has a reverse camera button, you can view either camera even when not in reverse while driving over 10 MPH for 10 seconds and for an unlimited time while parked (possibly under 10MPH too, I don't remember exactly how the logic works). There are manufacturer safeties in place that prevent video in motion for prolonged periods that can only be defeated with aftermarket solutions (so far).

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Thanks. With the minimal costs involved, I bust need to go ahead and add the front camera and get it up and running. I’ll let you know how it all works out.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks. With the minimal costs involved, I bust need to go ahead and add the front camera and get it up and running. I’ll let you know how it all works out.
You should be able to run the front camera off the same spot you tap power for the infotainment rear camera no problem. Good luck, happy to help if you have more questions!

OP
OP
ACB8

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
All cameras are powered from the 12v keyed cigarette lighter port via a line tap for trigger to a relay with power supplied directly from the battery. The relay powers 2 cooling fans for the radio, 3 cameras and a digital TV tuner.
I've been meaning to ask you about your video switch and how you watch TV and other video. What units are you hooking up to your video switch to watch TV or movies? Thanks again.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I've been meaning to ask you about your video switch and how you watch TV and other video. What units are you hooking up to your video switch to watch TV or movies? Thanks again.
Everything is detailed here...

I might try hooking up a streaming device, but it will require me to change the switch type.