Camera Compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 Big Horn w/ Cold Weather Package
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’m going to add a front camera to my 2016 Ram 2500 thru my 8.4 head unit and my cargo cam. Trying to find a good camera but I’m seeing PAL, NTSC, AND AHD/CVBS options. Tried to figure out which type is compatible with the 8.4 unit but have had no luck. I would appreciate if someone would tell me which type of camera I need.
Thank you all!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I’m going to add a front camera to my 2016 Ram 2500 thru my 8.4 head unit and my cargo cam. Trying to find a good camera but I’m seeing PAL, NTSC, AND AHD/CVBS options. Tried to figure out which type is compatible with the 8.4 unit but have had no luck. I would appreciate if someone would tell me which type of camera I need.
Thank you all!
I just ordered a new one to replace one I got from Customtronix 9 years ago. It still works but the focus has shifted so things are a little blurry. I ordered an AHD camera but many of these are compatible with other systems by clipping a wire (same for removing parking lines). I'll let you know how it goes as mine is hooked up as a cargo camera but will be using the same inputs you will for forward facing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ACB8

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the response. What camera did you go with? I look forward to hearing how it goes. Thanks!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for the response. What camera did you go with? I look forward to hearing how it goes. Thanks!
This one...

AHD 1080P Backup Camera, Universal Flush Mount Reverse Rear Front Side View Camera for Cars Pickup SUVs RVs Vans TTXSCAM-E01, Works with Monitors Supports AHD 1080P 25HZ/PAL Video Signal https://a.co/d/c5fmij9

I'm flush mounting it in the third brake light.
Have you guys seen this HDMI camera connector for our trucks?

I'm hoping the AHD (stands for Analog High Definition) camera will work. The adapter is cool, but that price is outrageous...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So, AHD definitely doesn't work, but I think if I cut the AHD wire it would would work. However, when getting my third brake light ready for the new camera I realized the old one has an adjustable lens type to bring it back into focus so I'll likely be returning this camera (and not cutting the AHD wire).

That being said, this camera appears to be an updated version of the old one. It is the exact same housing with a slightly different lens and AHD.

Depending on where you plan to mount the camera I can give you other recommendations too.

OP
OP
ACB8

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well shoot. I can cut the wire as well but maybe I should return it. I’m planning on mounting it where my grill meets the bumper. I’d love to hear your suggestions.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well shoot. I can cut the wire as well but maybe I should return it. I’m planning on mounting it where my grill meets the bumper. I’d love to hear your suggestions.
To be clear, I'm like 99% sure it's compatible if the right wire gets snipped (mine says cut the white wire EDIT: I cut the white wire, it doesn't work). Where the grill meets the bumper as in flush mount? If so I would say this is probably a good camera for that (aesthetically), but adjusting it if needed would essentially not be an option as it has a fixed position. I used these in my mirrors and on the front of my truck mounted in the license plate at one time and they all still work too.

The picture on the site now shows a different camera though so I'm not sure what might be sent if you get it. If they are the same here is what the image look like in their mounting locations

Front License plate frame mount (the black you see around the image is my Lund bull bar)
1704462878095.jpeg

Passenger Mirror
1704462970139.jpeg

One thing I would caution is that if the camera (any of them) are mounted too low in the grille, you will see a lot of bumper as our trucks have a pretty good under bite and the cameras have fisheyes. If you have the honeycomb grille, you can temporarily install the camera in multiple locations in it to see what location is good to you for viewing angle (many mount their's in the Ram's head badge if you have an older 4thgen).

I've since moved the license plate camera onto the bullbar with a camera similar to this:

You would use a camera like this if you wanted to mount it on the lower bumper fascia underside.

Some of this is trial and error though. I might just go ahead and clip this wire here today to see if it works and still has a better image than 9 years ago to satisfy my curiosity, but my curiosity (keep) is in conflict with my frugality (return) at the moment...

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Curiosity won, I cut the white wire and it doesn't work. So return it.

OP
OP
ACB8

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for letting me know. What "type" of camera will work then? What should I be looking for? Thanks again for all your help.

TwitchCaptain

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We know that AHD1080 and CVBS do not work. Thanks @SitKneelBend for testing that out. You probably need a regular analog camera with a yellow rca plug on it. It will not say anything about AHD or CVBS and will instead list TVL somewhere between 480 and 700. The Natika camera that SKB linked (3 posts up) on Amazon is one such camera. My money is on that one works.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for letting me know. What "type" of camera will work then? What should I be looking for? Thanks again for all your help.
It looks like all the cameras I used in the past are listed as "CCD". Honestly haven't had a problem with cameras until this AHD one.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The listing is dead but here's the order description for one I currently have on the front. The night vision stuff is a lie though...all of these camera are horrible and grainy at night without a light source.

1704489506463.png

I'm thinking ones like this should work.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I already have a tailgate backup camera. If I install a front (or side) camera, how do I switch from one to the other? The rear camera shows in my RA2 (5” screen) when I shift into reverse.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I already have a tailgate backup camera. If I install a front (or side) camera, how do I switch from one to the other? The rear camera shows in my RA2 (5” screen) when I shift into reverse.
You'd need a physical switch for 3 or more cameras but if just two you can use AlfaOBD to activate the Cargo camera button (2016+ radios) and purchase an RCA plugin for the cargo camera circuit from @Mpgrimm2 if it's not already pinned (I think it is pinned though). There are also more expensive bespoke products that enable multiple camera inputs and logic controllers. Here's what I did...

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have this one plugged into the cargo camera input on the radio.

NATIKA Backup/Front View Camera,IP69K Waterproof Great Night Vision HD and Super Wide Angle Metal OEM Style Reverse Rear View Backup Camera for Cars Pickup Trucks SUVs RVs Vans (Black) https://a.co/d/hg2krs8

OP
OP
ACB8

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have this one plugged into the cargo camera input on the radio.

NATIKA Backup/Front View Camera,IP69K Waterproof Great Night Vision HD and Super Wide Angle Metal OEM Style Reverse Rear View Backup Camera for Cars Pickup Trucks SUVs RVs Vans (Black) https://a.co/d/hg2krs8
This the same camera I just ordered. How is it at night? Are you satisfied with it? Where did you mount it?

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
You'd need a physical switch for 3 or more cameras but if just two you can use AlfaOBD to activate the Cargo camera button (2016+ radios) and purchase an RCA plugin for the cargo camera circuit from @Mpgrimm2 if it's not already pinned (I think it is pinned though). There are also more expensive bespoke products that enable multiple camera inputs and logic controllers. Here's what I did...

The tailgate handle camera I installed was from Infotainment and include a harness with RCA plug for that camera. There is also a second RCA plug on that harness and I assume I could plug a front camera into that. The question is how would I select the front camera? My Ram is a 2014 with the RA2 5” touchscreen. Will there be an icon for the second camera like I’ve seen on some of the posts for the 8.4” screen? Thanks again for your help.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The tailgate handle camera I installed was from Infotainment and include a harness with RCA plug for that camera. There is also a second RCA plug on that harness and I assume I could plug a front camera into that. The question is how would I select the front camera? My Ram is a 2014 with the RA2 5” touchscreen. Will there be an icon for the second camera like I’ve seen on some of the posts for the 8.4” screen? Thanks again for your help.
Can you post a link to what you purchased from infotainment?