Camper shell on regular cab night edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I am considering going the camper shell route. I have a 2018 night edition in granite crystal metallic. Essentially it’s an R/T with black trim and wheels instead of chrome.

Anyway looking to see if anyone has done this on an R/T at all or even a night edition. Looking at the ARE Z cap or the SnigTop XTR version 2. My reason is for more useful space. I know some might see this is not what to do with the reg cab sport truck. I am not 100% sure. I saw one picture that I cannot find anymore and it looked good. I’m not into lowering so I don’t think it will look weird. Would be nice for the extra height and security.

Any thoughts and more importantly, any pics if anyone has done this?

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As long as you get it color matched, with nice sliding tined windows, and it’s not one of those that sticks up above the cab, I think it’s a fine idea, if that’s what you want ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Unless you need Infinite Height, for some purpose, I think Camper shells make sense.
Tired of a box full of leaves, snow, ice, etc.
Also, Camper shells provide some deterrent to casual theft, not to mention keeps everything pretty well protected from the Elements.
Single biggest advantage is fewer people want to borrow your truck to move their stuff. Big and bulky is a bother with a camper shell.
Even if it will fit inside.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A clean cab high would look nice. However I can say much for that Snug Top XTR 2, imo that rack is fugly on top!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Both shells you are looking at are top quality shells. With all the accessories they sell with them, they can get pretty expensive. I agree that cab height and color matched would look just fine. Don't forget to get a bed rug also, it makes the bed look a lot more "finished".
Jay

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info. I should’ve mentioned only cab high. Wasn’t so sure about the rack on the snug top either. I actually prefer the ARE more. Agree about color matched, wouldn’t do it any other way. I know about the cost and I will have several accessories if I do go that route. Lastly, I have the bed rug. Been using them for close to 20 years. Always been great.

As for moving and loaning out my truck... Umm, no! Lol

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think a color matched cap would look good, and of course then a Bed Rug. I had a Century brand on my 95 long bed, color matched. It came with a nice all glass type rear window, rear opening side windows. I ordered it with the carpet kit inside, and a front sliding window that could swing down for cleaning.

95 Dodge & JD 4600 006.JPG

Ramcolorado

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, a snug top but not the top of the line.

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
I really like my Snug Top Rebel on my long bed crew cab. I got it with tracks, so I can remove the racks. I have a BedRug, and then put a thick rubber mat down. I also installed air vents into the cap for additional ventilation.

IMG_0463.JPG IMG_2783.JPG

RAMSTIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is mine with Leer Cap and Decked system. Not as "cool" according to some people but 100% more useful!ram and skiff.jpg ram decked.JPG

RAMSTIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That stripe went with the truck better when the cap was off. Not quite sure how to do it but I want a modern version of this...1985-dodge-ramcharger-prospector.jpg