Can I drill out an OEM ‘20 spare to replace stock ‘17

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawk1775

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 - SPORT, 4x4, Quad Cab, 6.4' Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Liter with MOPAR Cold Air Intake & Hood Scoop
With the original question though I recall what I did on my 2nd generation Sport. I found the same rim as I was running for free and figured why use a steel rim? I got rid of it and carefully cut the holder bracket from the lanyard assembly by slicing a 3/16" slot into one side for the cable to pass thru. Once I had the spare down with some slake, take the holder bracket out/off and the spare was free. I had to have the rim facing up, but it worked, and held, fine for 3 years when I traded it in for an '07.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put the spare on the front and then put that one on the back.

You could do that, but it just seems silly to not put a real tire on the rim.
Also if you are towing heavy and have a WDH, the front also has an increased load.

Besides, with the crazy drivers out there today, I really don't want to be changing out 2 tires on the side of the road.

The 17" spare wheel is fine, just need a real tire vs. the temp spare.
Sure the wheel is a bit narrow for a 285 wide tire, but it is fine to use as a spare and will be able to handle whatever load you have.

For the OP, if that is a spare 20" wheel he has, it is a no brainer - hog the chrome out of the center or knock the cladding off.
Personally, I would hog the hole out of the chrome cladding (no need to touch the aluminum part) and debur the cut chrome of sharp edges.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hummer H2 rims are 8x6.5 bolt pattern but have a lip in the hub area that is smaller than normal 8 lug hubs. A router with a flush cutting bit is typically used to cut this so we could run them on 8 lug Rams.
Maybe see if part of the hole is the correct size & use a router instead of a grinder. Also by going this route balance isn’t going to be an issue from you grinding more off in on area.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 13 Sport with 20" wheels did have a 17" wheel with a "temporary" spare. Yes, it was a taller 17" tire to match the height of the 20" tires, but it was a "temporary" tire. I found a used 20" steel wheel at a scrapyard, and a used tire 20" tire at the local tire shop. It just gives me a warm & fuzzy feeling knowing that I have a "real" tire for a spare.