Can i drive in this condition? This is stupid question most likely

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I was pulling into my driveway today and heard a loud pop when I went over the curb. It didnt sound normal so I crawled under the vehicle and discovered a crack in the steering knuckle, see pic. If I absolutely need to, could I still drive it around town in this condition? I dont think I can get my hands on a new part for a week or more.

Attachments

• 20230902_173905.jpg
    20230902_173905.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 67

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I was pulling into my driveway today and heard a loud pop when I went over the curb. It didnt sound normal so I crawled under the vehicle and discovered a crack in the steering knuckle, see pic. If I absolutely need to, could I still drive it around town in this condition? I dont think I can get my hands on a new part for a week or more.
I would not drive with the problem if it goes it will possibly blow out your tire and might crash at higher speeds.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would not be concerned with why that broke , probably just fatigue. But I would not drive it because of the liability issues.j
The liability issue is even bigger if you crash and hurt someone (or worse) , since you posted on here. If something happend and a decent lawyer found this posting, it will all but win his case for him against you, since you knew about it and drove it any way.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I been in the 4x4 forums for like 20 years, I can't even tell you how many knuckles there has been rigged up. That is usable, but with some welding work. There are many just knuckle fix threads that involve everything but putting on a new knuckle.

Without "a fix" that isnt drivable.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
AND THE TOW! That will cost $ besides the actual repair. And law enforcement may wind up calling the tow truck for you, depending on where you are when it breaks (like the middle of a road). You used to be able to RENT a vehicle for $29 a day. Call up a rental agency near you and check. Airports can be cheaper. Be advised "what" you rent affects the price.

bravem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm glad that I've found this thread as I faced the same problem after scraping my car's underground when getting into a driveway. You guys calmed me down, thanks! Now, I'm thinking about installing curb ramps (actually, I've already looked through the reviews here and made the choice) in the hope of not having such an issue again.

Last edited: