Can the 66rfe be rebuilt with a 68rfe rebuild kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thelegendl23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just as the title says, I appreciate anyone's helps. I have read several conflicting rumors and my 5th gear is out, slips into 4th unless I lock it out. Error code is p0735.

68RFE(07-UP) TRANSMISSION MASTER KIT PERFORMANCE STAGE-1 RED STEELS FILTERS https://a.co/d/2SNaZl7

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just as the title says, I appreciate anyone's helps. I have read several conflicting rumors and my 5th gear is out, slips into 4th unless I lock it out. Error code is p0735.

68RFE(07-UP) TRANSMISSION MASTER KIT PERFORMANCE STAGE-1 RED STEELS FILTERS https://a.co/d/2SNaZl7

Why not ask a local transmission shop/rebuilder that way you are not getting 2nd or 3rd hand information.

OP
OP
Thelegendl23

Thelegendl23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why not ask a local transmission shop/rebuilder that way you are not getting 2nd or 3rd hand information.
I don't consider this site second or third hand information. I consider it a refillable source of information for a diy rebuild.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I don't consider this site second or third hand information. I consider it a refillable source of information for a diy rebuild.
I know most of the guy here are good, but I would still talk to a trans shop before I laid out $$$ buying parts on a persons word I do not personally know....

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The above exactly. This is a major undertaking and something that could become a major problem if not done correctly. Go to a trusted transmission shop and ask them. You start off taking about rumors, get the facts and let them professionally diagnose your issue. This is the advice all the knowledgeable people here start out with "Don't throw money at a problem, have a service person find the problem and fix that.". Good luck.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

Half (or more) of the information on here is second or third hand. While it is a resource, it is a resource that must be double-checked by those whose job it is to do what you're asking about.

Find a trans shop, ask them if it can be done. And I don't mean just a run-of-the-mill mechanic, and definitely not the dealer, but I mean an actual transmission shop where all they do is transmissions.

If I ever need one, I know it's a 60 mile trip, but I still trust the shop. They have been building transmissions for over 70 years, and got their start by rebuilding race transmissions for the track they are right next to.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have to ask the obvious question.....why?
If there are parts in a 68RFE that will fit in a 66RFE but considered an upgrade, I'm sure they would be marketed as a 66RFE upgrade parts or kit.
But as said above, I would talk with a reputable trans shop about this. I doubt there are very many people on this site who have any first hand experience rebuilding a transmission.....

70UTE

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Watch that video and it will answer the questions you’re looking to get answers for.

If you’re looking to DIY, it’s a pretty user friendly transmission to do at home given you have a few specialty tools. There are OEM kits that come with the TSB for fixes on OD clutch pack, provided with new steels as well. The valve body is the same, OD/UD is the same, pistons the same, gear set the same, planets and reactions the same. I grew up in a transmission shop with my old man so I learned quite a bit. I’m no pro builder by any means but I’ve hand hands on everything from poweglides to 6L90s and RFEs. I just finished my building 66FRE after having some odd issues. Used an OEM mopar kit with a couple sonnax upgrades for aread that lack. Installing next week when I get an afternoon to finish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thelegendl23

Thelegendl23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Watch that video and it will answer the questions you’re looking to get answers for.

If you’re looking to DIY, it’s a pretty user friendly transmission to do at home given you have a few specialty tools. There are OEM kits that come with the TSB for fixes on OD clutch pack, provided with new steels as well. The valve body is the same, OD/UD is the same, pistons the same, gear set the same, planets and reactions the same. I grew up in a transmission shop with my old man so I learned quite a bit. I’m no pro builder by any means but I’ve hand hands on everything from poweglides to 6L90s and RFEs. I just finished my building 66FRE after having some odd issues. Used an OEM mopar kit with a couple sonnax upgrades for aread that lack. Installing next week when I get an afternoon to finish.
Thank you! I live miles from any resources and funds are limited so I can't do what anyone else suggested, I am not trying to upgrade it like others suggested it's actually much simpler. I can only have items shipped ups for a heavy fee OR have items held at the local post office which doesn't always work. The 68rfe kits are much simpler to order and with credit on a website I can get free shipping by ups. I need the truck its the only vehicle on out homestead, as is I will have to reuse the vb and solenoid just due to funds.. would you say its okay to reuse them? I have 4 to 5th gear slip and then defaults to 4 so I'm assuming burnt OD clutches. Thank you again for your help..

OP
OP
Thelegendl23

Thelegendl23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have to ask the obvious question.....why?
If there are parts in a 68RFE that will fit in a 66RFE but considered an upgrade, I'm sure they would be marketed as a 66RFE upgrade parts or kit.
But as said above, I would talk with a reputable trans shop about this. I doubt there are very many people on this site who have any first hand experience rebuilding a transmission.....
You would think but a 68rfe isn't actually an upgrade in itself its the other components, using the 68rfe rebuild kit in a 66rfe just gives you a rebuilt 66rfe.. if you wanted to build a 66rfe for more power that would cost roughly 7k or so..