Can you paint LED lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Unfused

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2010
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6.7 Cummins
I bought two strobe LED lights from walmart, however they were white. I'd like to paint them orange so they can be used as caution lights for when I am working on the side of the road.

Is it possible to paint them and still have them bright? If so, what sort of paint or material should I use to coat them orange?

Thanks a lot,

Unfused

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
very interesting thought, I have never done it, but I have an airbrush and I know that the airbrush candee colors are very transparent and are good quality depending on the company. if you were to go about tinting them maybe try a candee orange and about 2 decent coats

OP
OP
U

Unfused

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2010
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6.7 Cummins
very interesting thought, I have never done it, but I have an airbrush and I know that the airbrush candee colors are very transparent and are good quality depending on the company. if you were to go about tinting them maybe try a candee orange and about 2 decent coats

Suggesting an airbrush would be a useful investment? Do they make that style of paint in a spray can?

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
Look at hobby shops. If I remember from my days of building plastic models, Testor's had colored transparent enamel. Go into the hobby shop and ask what you could use to paint clear plastic.

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
They make transparent paint for RC car bodies but I don't think it'll be enough of an orange color that you could use it

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
After a couple of coats it might. Only thing I am thinking (as I have LED strobes in my lights) is that the light output is not going to be enough to warrant putting them in and light housing. Do you have a picture of what you bought? My LED strobes were specifically made to be put in light housings.

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
Ufused...I wouldn't even bother putting those on your truck. Your headlights would overpower those. And they aren't bright enough to warn people.

Schwendy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Krylon makes a transparent paint for lenses . On the neon forum I have seen them do it to the turn signals to imitate European export neons. Looks pretty good too.

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yes.... just go light on the coats.

OP
OP
U

Unfused

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2010
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6.7 Cummins
Damn, I thought the lights I bought would be bright enough at night for people to seem me on the side of the road.... Any suggestions then on what lights I should buy? I have already gotten two fines because I am not visible enough at dusk.

OP
OP
U

Unfused

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2010
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6.7 Cummins
Why not just use your hazards?

I was using my hazards for the longest time. Apparently it's not quite enough now. I don't know who makes the rules. I don't like them though.

Detox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was using my hazards for the longest time. Apparently it's not quite enough now. I don't know who makes the rules. I don't like them though.

What highways are you working on in Ontario? I've used my hazards + a Canadian Tire Blue strobe for plowing for years with no issues. I'm no on any 400 series highways though so that might be a difference.

OP
OP
U

Unfused

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2010
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6.7 Cummins
What highways are you working on in Ontario? I've used my hazards + a Canadian Tire Blue strobe for plowing for years with no issues. I'm no on any 400 series highways though so that might be a difference.

That is the worst part about it. I'm rarely actually on the highway. But I take up a full lane in town which is what the safety people are ******** about. As if putting out cones and having hazards isn't enough.

Alright, I've ordered and airbrush off ebay. Should have it someday. Once I get it I will resume the panting attempt.

I'm also on the hunt for new strobes because I was told these might be insufficient. I was reading s little something about hidden strobes. Would those be a better way to go?

OP
OP
U

Unfused

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2010
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6.7 Cummins
If your worried about it so bad, just get a Walmart amber rotator....

That is what I'm using as a temp fix. I have a battery in the back box of my truck and a rotatory light on my backrack. I just flick on the light when I step out of the truck and I recharge the battery at night when I get home.

It isn't only a matter of practicality I'm looking for. I would really prefer my lighting to be esthetically pleasing as well. Work truck or not, still better when it looks good.

I'm sure you can all relate with my goal for an effective yet good looking vehicle.