Carven Progressive review one year later.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So first and foremost, I still love this thing and it sounds awesome. But, seem to be having a little trouble. Noticed my tips were sticking out a ways past the bumper, like 2-3 inches. Did some investigating under the truck and the muffler is sliding out of the clamp at midpipe. Could tell from soot that it was leaking there. Loosened clamp, pushed back together, and torqued down bolts. Off we go! That was 2 days ago and I've driven it twice since then. Dropped kids at school this am, and tips are back out. No problems at all up until now. Was just gonna have a buddy tac it in a couple places. Anybody else having this issue? Also, you'll notice what a year of snowy/salty NE winter has done to it. I'm under the impression that any muffler is gonna look like this no matter what they say its made of, stainless or otherwise. For the record Carven's website just says "stainless material" not specific as to what type. Which makes me wonder if I get ceramic coated longtubes, will the end up this way as well?...

20180125_141115.jpg

damnimcooltom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This style of clamp is nice, because it allows us to take the exhaust apart and reuse it but they can have this issue, too. The midpipes on my Challenger were loose and clanging at startup. It was embarrassing. When they warmed up, they sealed, but for the first 20 seconds or so, it sounded like someone was under my car, pounding on a garbage can lid with metal drumsticks.

There was no way I could tighten it enough by hand. The use of a half inch impact seemed to have tightened it enough.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There is some pipe dope, made specifically for exhaust pipes, that will help keep that in place and insure a good seal. A small tack weld in 2 or 3 places will work too.

I think Carven uses 304SS which has a bit less carbon and is subject to a bit of corrosion. Flame spray or ceramic coated pipes & headers do pretty well out here in wet conditions but I'm not sure how it does in areas where they salt the roads or use some other corrosive chemical.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats the 1st I have seen this with Carven but not the 1st time Ive seen it happen with exhaust. Slide that pipe back enough to get the end out and smear copper RTV all around the pipe then slide it back in and tighten that down TIGHT! Let it sit for a while, check what it recommends as i cant remember. you should be fine after that. Had the same issue and did this and it worked great.

304SS is usually pretty good as far as rusting but will get some surface rust. in NE you do get some pretty rough winters i'm sure

RamUAllNite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nick, I just ordered this muffler from you on your site. When I get it put on should I be asking them to do something like that or is it fine out of the box?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nick, I just ordered this muffler from you on your site. When I get it put on should I be asking them to do something like that or is it fine out of the box?

Like I said its the 1st time I have seen this with Carven but it wouldnt hurt to use the copper RTV on the slip joints. If you arent planning on removing it ever a couple tack welds would really make sure it isnt going anywhere but wouldnt call it necessary.

and i processed your order. It should ship out tomorrow!

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There were several people last yr that posted about Carven slipping back like this. They slid the pipe back forward and retightened. Unsure if it happened again to them

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Id considered getting a couple small welds to hold my Progressive in place...I'll keep an eye on mine and have that done if needed. Thanks for the info and update!
Love this exhaust! Every time I fire up the truck I get a smile on my face!

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is some pipe dope, made specifically for exhaust pipes, that will help keep that in place and insure a good seal. A small tack weld in 2 or 3 places will work too.

I think Carven uses 304SS which has a bit less carbon and is subject to a bit of corrosion. Flame spray or ceramic coated pipes & headers do pretty well out here in wet conditions but I'm not sure how it does in areas where they salt the roads or use some other corrosive chemical.

409ss does what is pictured. 304 should look almost new

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I kinda got the SS specs backwards, didn't I. geez.... Time for the Moderator to take a nap!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was on the phone with Carven today talking business and while I had them on the phone I brought this up. They were made aware of the issue and due to that issue they made slight changes to the way the muffler kit is built and also changed the type of clamps they use. All newer muffler kits do NOT have this issue. I know it doesnt help anyone who is currently experiencing this but hopefully it helps anyone interested and it also is reassuring to see a company make changes to ensure they are putting out the best product they can. One of the reasons we are proud to offer their brand!

OP
OP
S

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was on the phone with Carven today talking business and while I had them on the phone I brought this up. They were made aware of the issue and due to that issue they made slight changes to the way the muffler kit is built and also changed the type of clamps they use. All newer muffler kits do NOT have this issue. I know it doesnt help anyone who is currently experiencing this but hopefully it helps anyone interested and it also is reassuring to see a company make changes to ensure they are putting out the best product they can. One of the reasons we are proud to offer their brand!
Thats good to know! I consider this to be very minute, and should be easy to correct. Picked up some copper rtv today. Gonna head out to the garage after kids go to bed and take care of it. Tube says to let cure for 24 hrs. On call all day tomorrow, so trucks gonna be sitting anyway. I'll put up some pics, cause well, we all love pictures of truck stuff;)

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let us know how it goes and yes we love truck pics!

24 hours is recommended but I have cheated that time without any issues. Not saying to do that...just saying lol

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

RamUAllNite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got the email that it shipped and will be here next week. Good to know they have addressed it, that is reassuring thanks for the heads up Nick!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the email that it shipped and will be here next week. Good to know they have addressed it, that is reassuring thanks for the heads up Nick!

This was news to me as we have been offering Carven for only a few months. The change took place just as we were signing up with Carven. So we probably never even sold one of the older designs and that is why I wasnt aware of this. I have not had one of my customers complain of any issues like this. I am sure you will enjoy it. Caven is one of my 2 favorite exhausts for the 5.7

SublimeScatShakr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 2018
Engine
2500 24 valve & 6.4L
This was news to me as we have been offering Carven for only a few months. The change took place just as we were signing up with Carven. So we probably never even sold one of the older designs and that is why I wasnt aware of this. I have not had one of my customers complain of any issues like this. I am sure you will enjoy it. Caven is one of my 2 favorite exhausts for the 5.7
Do they make one for the 2500 6.4L?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do they make one for the 2500 6.4L?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Not YET. I have been talking to the owner of Carven Jeff. I have passed on some info to him and something will be made from Carven but not sure when yet. they have been very busy so they havent started yet. I keep bugging them about it hoping to push it along

Dhill29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So are Carven mufflers ok to buy yet or not?

Samsonlabs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just got my Carven progressive in from Nick and installed. I have to say that alot of my friends who have used several different brands of bolt on muffler systems complain of slippage and leaks after awhile from the ends that butt together and clamp, but never heard of the slip joint coming loose either. As for the muffler itself, Im not a spend every 3rd day waxing the driveshaft kinda person. But thats just me. My truck is nice, but considering the amount of surface rust that was on the original muffler, if the Carven gets a little it wont turn my head. Mine is a daily driver and it goes offroad and up in the MTNs. I was after sound anyway and boy do it ever sound....like a new challenger almost but a bit louder....One thing I will mention is the duals coming out the back will not line up with the cutouts in the bumper. Like maybe 1/4" at the most off. I musta loosened and tightened and loosened and tightened 5x times and each time as soon as I let go it would ease back. No manner of amount of twisting could bring it in line. Did I mention how good it sounds though? :D Thanks to Nick for the help and the OP for bringing up this issue, Ill be sure to keep an eye on mine ;)

OH I am perfectly happy with mine btw regardless...a quick trip to the muffler shop and 10bux to tac it in place will solve any problems I can forsee...just me 2 cts