Cat Back or Muffler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All,

My back is too torqued to get under and have a look, do the '18's have mandrel-bent exhaust or is it all crimped? My Sport has dual tips thru the bumper. There's a $600 difference between a muffler and the whole system.

I've looked at Corsa and Borla (not a fan of Flowmaster) and can't decide between them. There's also Carven (super loud!) and AFE. Gibson has nothing for a RCSB, not even a replacement muffler. I've emailed them to be sure, but nothing shows up on their site.

I don't mind the extra $$$ if the tailpipes are a bonafide upgrade and not just a parts swap...

Russ

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Carven progressive is my favorite! $300 and done.. A shop would probably charge $50 to bolt it on for you. I saved my oem exhaust in case I ever decide to go with a cutout later.

TTU14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2nd on the Carven progressive! I've also had the mufflex delete, which was way loud.

If you want quieter than the progressive, Mufflex also has a couple different direct fit Magnaflows.

ColdSeven

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
What if you're wanting to keep it as close to stock decibles(loudness) but still gain performance/mpg? I've been reading through lots of threads on here and there's not much about headers vs muffler vs a whole system upgrade in ways of performance/sound increase.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi All,

My back is too torqued to get under and have a look, do the '18's have mandrel-bent exhaust or is it all crimped? My Sport has dual tips thru the bumper. There's a $600 difference between a muffler and the whole system.

I've looked at Corsa and Borla (not a fan of Flowmaster) and can't decide between them. There's also Carven (super loud!) and AFE. Gibson has nothing for a RCSB, not even a replacement muffler. I've emailed them to be sure, but nothing shows up on their site.

I don't mind the extra $$$ if the tailpipes are a bonafide upgrade and not just a parts swap...

Russ

Hi Russ. Ifyou go Carven I recommend the tips for for a deeper tone plus they look great! What are you looking for as far as sound? As you have seen there is endless options, and we can help figure out the best fit for you. We are running a sale on Corsa, Borla, Magnaflow, and MBRP. Also we offer a discount on Carven products using promo code CARVEN10, you can find them here https://gotexhaust.com/c-1183874-ram-owners-preferred-products.html . For the catbacks message me for a quote.

Let us know if we can help with your purchase, we offer every available option.

What if you're wanting to keep it as close to stock decibles(loudness) but still gain performance/mpg? I've been reading through lots of threads on here and there's not much about headers vs muffler vs a whole system upgrade in ways of performance/sound increase.

I would suggest going Long Tubes for the performance aspect and go with a magnaflow catback for a deep tone that is quiet in comparison to most aftermarket kits and will outflow the stock muffler. this would be the best flowing "quiet" setup you can go with. dont get me wrong it will be louder than stock but not crazy loud.

Let me know if we can quote you on a setup. we are running a sale on catbacks this month

OP
OP
RASelkirk

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dunno, listening to the Carven on You-Tube seems waaay loud. I don't mind some, but don't want too much. How does the Carven sound inside the cabin?

TTU14, thanks for the Mufflex tip, looking them up. I've got a 14" Magnaflow (3" mandrel-bent) on my Dakota R/T and it's fine, no drone either. This from the Mufflex website:

Why change the complete cat-back when the factory dual tailpipe system is already made of a 409 grade of stainless steel?
So, basically the stock pipes are pretty nice as-is. Numerous YT vids show the factory pipes as mandrel-bent, so these pipes are good to go.

The Mufflex 14" is essentially what I've had on my R/T since it was new in '98 and the website lists it as 9 on a 10 scale for loudness. Wonder where that Carven Progressive would end up? 15 out of 10? :Big Laugh:

Russ

Redsquirrel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just installed a Pypes Violator kit, easy instal, about 30 min total to take the old muffler out, and get the new one in and lined up. Much quieter than I expected, but sounds good for under $200

hemisport5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do the mufflex muffler delete kit and be done with it. The truck sounds amazing and has zero drone on the highway.

OP
OP
RASelkirk

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Carven Progressive came in yesterday, got pretty nervous looking at how small it is! I got up early this morning and put it on before the heat index got over 100°, took about 45 minutes of "work" with a few water breaks, total of about an hour. Of course, my truck is new and not all corroded. Sounds great and prolly lost 25# too! Didn't get a chance to drive it yet, after the install and washing the wife's car, I was all-in for the day...

Russ

20180601_100232.jpg

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
That Carven looks nice. I ran the mid level Mufflex on my 1500, and really liked the sound most of the time. However, it was a bit too loud for me on the interstate.

OP
OP
RASelkirk

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a quality piece, welds are super and it fit perfectly. Drove it about 15 minutes this morning, I'm quite happy with it for around town. Does seem a little louder than my Dak with it's single 3" Magnaflow but no drone with eco engaged. In fact, I cannot tell when it's in/out of eco mode without seeing the dash icon...

Russ

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
My Carven Progressive came in yesterday, got pretty nervous looking at how small it is! I got up early this morning and put it on before the heat index got over 100°, took about 45 minutes of "work" with a few water breaks, total of about an hour. Of course, my truck is new and not all corroded. Sounds great and prolly lost 25# too! Didn't get a chance to drive it yet, after the install and washing the wife's car, I was all-in for the day...

Russ

View attachment 129858

Is the larger end flared now? I have one of the originals and mine just butts up to the 3" extension. I'm wanting it flared some everything slides into place before clamps

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well may have to just get a progressive now
Scottsdale isn't far from me. If you want to hear a muffler delete let me know and we could meet up. I bet you'd be surprised how quiet my truck is cruising. And how mean it sounds when you're stomping on it. I do have Carven tips though with the delete.

One of my friends has beautiful truck with the progressive, it really does sound great.

gilleydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 ram larami
Engine
5 inch Carven Tips changed my exhaust sound just right no need for muffler swap