cb stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i picked up a cheap little cb the other weekend, the cheapest midland one. I know theyre crap and all but i dont really care, i mainly bought it to use with a pa:005: but i also wanna get an antenna just so i can talk to my friends when were following each other or close by(i know it wont transmit very far). i was thinking about getting this antenna Amazon.com: FireStik FL4-B Four Foot FireFly antenna with tuneable tip (Black): Electronics and i was wondering what kind of antenna mount everybody is using, just a decent one that i could mount behind the cab in the bed somewhere. im new to all this cb stuff lol

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Got a tool box? I got a nice cobra set up so and mine was the same reason with the pa and get dual whips, it will look better and mine works better

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I have a similar uniden 520XL in my car and my girlfriends truck (hers is the 510XL which just doesnt have a PA, I dont use mine and you wouldnt be able to here it over motor noise)
I just used the mirror mounts to mount the fiberglass antenna off her toolbox
Im planning on running a wire from the mount to a ground to see if it makes a difference
I get 2-3 miles from both radios

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a similar uniden 520XL in my car and my girlfriends truck (hers is the 510XL which just doesnt have a PA, I dont use mine and you wouldnt be able to here it over motor noise)
Im planning on running a wire from the mount to a ground to see if it makes a difference

That's about what I get 2, I have a mirror mount mounted to my tool box and withe the pa- even though mine has 4 100watt radio shack speakers pushed by a 1600watt boss amp, you can hear it over my straight piped and 60:birgits_tiredcoffee

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'm curious if running a better ground will do anything, should find out this weekend if I actually get around to it
I'm happy with my range now for what I use it for

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got a tool box? I got a nice cobra set up so and mine was the same reason with the pa and get dual whips, it will look better and mine works better

dont have a toolbox, need to get one though. lol i dont think dual would even make a difference with my cb. or would it??

ok, iv seen some mounts like this Amazon.com: FireStik SS-194A Pickup Truck Bedrail Stakehole Antenna Mount - Stainless Steel: Car Electronics wondering if anybody has them, cant find any pics of it mounted to a truck though.

ive got my cb hooked up to a pa speaker from radio shack for $25 and its pretty loud. i actually have the speaker mounted right behind my CAI and i run without a muffler and its still pretty loud

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's about what I get 2, I have a mirror mount mounted to my tool box and withe the pa- even though mine has 4 100watt radio shack speakers pushed by a 1600watt boss amp, you can hear it over my straight piped and 60:birgits_tiredcoffee

holy crap 4 speakers?!?!

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Get the springs they mount to or you will regret it!

Springs?

That one will work or they have fold down ones that do exactly that, they let you cold them down and out of the way and go inside of the actual stake pocket

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
holy crap 4 speakers?!?!

Yeah:D let's just say I can hear it a long ways away. I have played music for half the beach before in Galveston on the east side. Took the subs out and put them on the tool box and cranked her up:D

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
haha thats awesome i just have one of the 50 watt speakers and i thought that was loud lol

haha i believe you, but i wanna see it. whered you put them?

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Midland radios aren't too bad. Definitely a good choice going with the Firestick. Those are great antennas.

I drove truck for several years and I actually got better signal with one antenna, although it looks way better with 2.

Edit: Yes, a good ground makes all the difference.

Last edited:

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
haha thats awesome i just have one of the 50 watt speakers and i thought that was loud lol

haha i believe you, but i wanna see it. whered you put them?

One under each door, one by the passenger fog light and one by the driver side by the spare, I get on some pics in a few

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Midland radios aren't too bad. Definitely a good choice going with the Firestick. Those are great antennas.

I drove truck for several years and I actually got better signal with one antenna, although it looks way better with 2.

Edit: Yes, a good ground makes all the difference.
ya thats what i thought, its not bad for a starter radio

One under each door, one by the passenger fog light and one by the driver side by the spare, I get on some pics in a few
haha nice

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks, yea I get some weird and funny looks when I turn them on, it's also pretty fun to mess with people when talking to them

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Oooo yeah I havent had a problem in a year and half now I think, I had a buddy snap his off though lol
The trucks just shy of 7 ft and I have 3ft that are just barely above the roof, maybe 3"
I had a 3' firestik on my car and switched it to a base loaded 30" and didn't really notice any difference in reception after tuning