Changed pads and rotors and now this.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moundman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
Question for you guys. I just changed my pads and rotors. I then took the truck out to start bedding the breaks and I noticed while I was driving that there was a rubbing/grinding noise coming from the wheels. Couldn't tell if it was front or back or left or right. It would go away when breaking but not while driving. To me it sounds like the pads aren't releasing from the rotors and just dragging on them.
I decided to park it and ask the experts for help. Dies anyone have any suggestions or is this normal? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My advice, take apart what you did, do it again.
This oddly almost always fixes my issue.

Did you use anti-squeal on the back of the pads?

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I agree with the above, take it apart. Sounds like you have something wedged, like an extra nut, or a clip you left behind, or....

Brakes are zero clearance, meaning the pad stays in contact with the rotor even when you are not applying the brakes, and with new pads... You should have beautiful silence.

I suppose it could also be your parking brake needing some minor adjustment. How severe is the noise?

012RAMbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could have slightly bent the dust shield and is making contact with the rotor. Happened to me while installing my lift. Made a horrible grinding sound at low speeds while turning

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
You check and make sure your brake clips/shims are not rubbing the rotor. They installed correctly?

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
my new pads have always made some noise until they're fully broke in.

OP
OP
Moundman

Moundman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the suggestions. I went and just kinda looked around and it was the dust cover rubbing the rotors. Just took it for a drive and everything is good. Thanks again.