Changing batt. Water in tray?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
Pulled batt. Out tray squares full of water, not leaking from batt. Is this normal? Should I drill hole for drains? Going to get new batt. now, work tomorrow, any help greatly appreciated thank you!

336486BB-E83F-499F-B786-EB41CF272B94.jpeg

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's not unusual for a bit of water to get in there.

You can drill holes in the low spots where the water flows to but check to see what's underneath first. You are looking for two things: 1) lines, harnesses, etc...that you don't want to drill holes into, and, 2) if drilling holes creates more exposure to more water coming in.

Your battery case is plastic so the water won't really hurt anything being in there.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Personally I'd leave it as is. If you drill holes and you do have a little leaking acid it's going to start corroding things underneath it. Better to let it catch in those compartments. By the way you might want to mix up some baking soda and water and spray it in there and see if there is any acid.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'd leave it alone. Tray and battery case are both plastic so what are trying to prevent from happening?
Also the under-hood temps will dry it out very quickly when you drive.

OP
OP
Adamcr68

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
It's not unusual for a bit of water to get in there.

You can drill holes in the low spots where the water flows to but check to see what's underneath first. You are looking for two things: 1) lines, harnesses, etc...that you don't want to drill holes into, and, 2) if drilling holes creates more exposure to more water coming in.

Your battery case is plastic so the water won't really hurt anything being in there.
Thank you

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess Im the oddball. I drilled when I found it back when I installed the Odyssey battery. Then heard how I spent too much on a battery. Cant take it with ya .

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I did got from advanceauto for 199$ the odessey was listed 434$ & read on this forum the agm was a good/more affordable/ substitute
Not sure where you seen the $434 for an Odyssey but you could have ordered the one for your truck direct from them for $260
https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/94r-850
The Odyssey is an AGM type battery also but is made in Missouri(USA) and uses a ****** lead unlike most batteries.

OP
OP
Adamcr68

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
Not sure where you seen the $434 for an Odyssey but you could have ordered the one for your truck direct from them for $260
https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/94r-850
The Odyssey is an AGM type battery also but is made in Missouri(USA) and uses a ****** lead unlike most batteries.
Thank you would’ve gone in that direction, I put in batteries agm saw that price under was probably from a dealer ship I guess but I had to drive to work next day & read good things agm but it does have just a 3 year warrenty