Spark plugs and water pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm having 2 issues I'm needing help understanding more..
1.changing spark plugs soon on a 2010..I read somewhere that you can swap to iridium plugs without changing coils...I ve read 1 says u have to change,another says you dont....cannot find either posts to save my life...
Did just read goto rock auto their charts are good so I did then find like 5 plugs for it.
So what's the consensus here on the subject?
2.i changed the water pump last week for the 2nd time.
1st pump mopar original lasted 7yrs,2nd pump napa lasted 5 yrs..got lifetime warr.for that and they honored that no problem...both those pumps seemed to be a common bearing seal failure I'm guesing(pulley wobbled leaked everywhere)
--Question 1,...is why?can/is the tensioner be to tight?lucky coincidence?
That being said...i replaced quite a bit of coolant with the called for hoat I believe.little over 2 gallons...now I've noticed my temp seems to rise quickly when started(way faster than ever before) to the 203-04 mark as it should...I kept the factory t-stat as it still looked brand new...its functioning as it should,...the temp does drop down to the area of about 190(never did that before)until it rises back again then always holds steady at 203...
--Question 2,....do you guys feel this is normal the way the temps are acting at the beginning?..never seen this before in all the 75k miles or so I've had it...145k area now.
Is the new coolant mainly the reason?..
Just my thoughts as Iike to know what's going on and why.
Thanks all for your thoughts on both matters.

Last edited:

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That temp rise, then fall, then rise again to hold steady at rated temp seems like it acting normal. NOTE: not all engines that are the same act exactly the same, especially after surgery.

Did you overheat when pump failed?
It is normal practice to replace the stat after an overheat.

OP
OP
Hardracer

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That temp rise, then fall, then rise again to hold steady at rated temp seems like it acting normal. NOTE: not all engines that are the same act exactly the same, especially after surgery.

Did you overheat when pump failed?
It is normal practice to replace the stat after an overheat.
No,no overheat...got lucky and caught it before I ran it again

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Were you able to get all the air out of the cooling system? Seems like your temps are acting normal. I personally would've done the tstat as well, already into the job, and not expensive.

DAK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spark Plugs NGK 92145 / LZFR5CI-11 does not need coil change, been running in my "11" for 25Kmiles.
Rockauto 6.50 dol. each

OP
OP
Hardracer

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Were you able to get all the air out of the cooling system? Seems like your temps are acting normal. I personally would've done the tstat as well, already into the job, and not expensive.
I agree also..Temps seem normal just the fact that at that 1st startup they just seem to get there faster....example,i usually start and idle for bout 3-4 min.in the morning before taking off...old temps would be around 120 area...now there around say 140...im not worried about any of this as it seems to be functioning fine out to 203..
The t-stat is clock proper with giggle pin up...I feel confident air is gone...I did not pull the Allen bolt tho no.....
1st pump change 5yrs ago..I didn't know about clocking and found out real fast...Temps hit 220 1 time and I knew something was wrong..cheap oreillys t-stat then(my fault..but didnt like that )..went straight back to oem...the current 1.confindent its fine...still looked brand new...and to me wasn't "inexpensive"..30 sumthin bucks at the stealership if I remember right back then.

OP
OP
Hardracer

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Spark Plugs NGK 92145 / LZFR5CI-11 does not need coil change, been running in my "11" for 25Kmiles.
Rockauto 6.50 dol. each
Thanks DAK for the knowledge.