Check engine codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zach Carlson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm running a 2013 ram 1500 5.7. Mods include K&N cold air intake, 90mm throttle body, BBK shorty headers, muffler delete(factory cats and rear resonators still installed), and a diablosport predator 2, 91 octane can tune.

I started getting a cylinder 3 misfire code. Code only comes up after getting on it a little. As long as I drive easy, no problems. This code has only be recently.

Before this code, I would also get a check engine light once every couple weeks. Each time I scanned it I got different codes each time. Everything from vehicle primary speed sensor to throttle control erratic voltages.

Does anyone have any idea why the random codes? And also, why only when after hammering on it?

As long as I drive easy and never get into it I won't get codes.

I'm not trying to replace stuff that isn't bad and I feel if these things were actually bad I'd see the code several times.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Could be a bunch of things. Plugs,coil,injectors,wiring,PCM,engine mechanical issues.

Best thing to do is swap the plugs,coil and injector with known good cylinders. Clear the codes and see if the misfire changes to a different cylinder.

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Accelerating then getting the code and a miss you actually feel in the truck is a dead sure sign of a wiped cam/lifter.

OP
OP
Zach Carlson

Zach Carlson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I swapped plugs and a new injector in cylinder 3. Swapped coil pack with cylinder 1. Drives perfect unless wide open throttle. Then starts shaking like an out of balanced wheel. Keeps that vibration going until I stop and clear the code. Making me think a valve also.. Thank you for the help.