Check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edcombs87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am dealing with some problems that I cannot figure out. Just bought this 2014 ram 1500. Throwing code for cylinder 4 misfire. So I changed plugs and coil. Nothing changed still running really rough. I pull plug for coils and cylinder 2 and 4 both change nothing when unplugged. Others are normal. Tried reseting cel with scanner and it won't delete codes. Left battery unplugged all night and it still didn't reset anything. Pulled pcm fuse this morning and that changed nothing as well. Doesn't really make any sense to me. Also may be unrelated but the radio won't come on at all. Thanks. I am new here and to rams.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
.......do you hear any ticking?

May have the infamous cam/lifter issue and the previous owner dumped it on you to deal with. If so, have $fun$.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So you swapped coils to different cylinders, right? And the code still persists in the same cylinder 4, as originally, right?

I would remove the pass side valve cover & do the check as in the video below, looking at Cyl 4 rocker arm movement. Hopefully you won't find what they found and you can move on to other troubleshooting possibilities. Note: There's tons of videos on Ram/Chrysler cam failures...and lots on this forum too. The word is the replacement lifters have larger bearings and thus far don't seem to be as problematic on newer pickups too:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As suggested above, there can be multiple reasons for a cylinder misfire besides just the coil and plug. Just for people searching this in the future, the first step should be swapping components between cylinders to see if the code stays with the same cylinder or follows the parts. That keeps somebody from spending money on replacing parts that may not have an issue to begin with.
The next steps for a decent mechanic would be to check if you have the proper power and signal to the coil........meaning is the ECM actually commanding the coil to fire and does it have the proper power and ground. If the plug is firing as it should the next step is to look for a mechanical issues. This can be performed by methods such as a relative compression check, actual compression check, or sometimes even a visual inspection by removing the valve cover.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good point..the coil wiring.

I guess we haven't mentioned injectors either.... But removing the valve cover and looking, at some point in time, can easily and quickly rule out the worst-case item.